This amazing Cheeseburger Casserole combines all the best flavors of cheeseburgers like ground beef, onions, garlic, ketchup, mustard, and Colby into a cheesy pasta casserole topped with seasoned homemade bun croutons. It is always a huge hit and even the pickiest eaters enjoy this recipe.
This is a hearty casserole all by itself but sometimes I like to serve it with a simple garden salad or Sauteed Mushrooms and Onions. For a flavor kick try serving it with Candied Jalapenos or Pickled Jalapenos.
How to make Cheeseburger Casserole
Start by browning your ground beef in a large pot. After a couple of minutes add the onion and continue cooking until the beef is browned and the onions are soft. Drain any excess grease from the beef mixture. Then add the garlic, cayenne, crushed red pepper, ketchup, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and beef broth. Now bring it to a low boil. Add the pasta and cover the pot cooking the pasta until it is tender. Then remove from the heat and stir in half of the cheese.
Meanwhile in a small bowl whisk together the olive oil, marjoram, parsley, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Now toss in the bun cubes and gently stir to coat. Then bake the croutons for about 15 minutes. Next spoon the pasta into a large deep baking dish, top with the remaining cheese, and sprinkle with the croutons. Finally bake until the cheese is melted and the casserole is heated through.
Recipe notes and helpful tips
- If you use a Dutch oven for the pasta portion of the recipe you do not need to transfer to a casserole dish because they are oven safe.
- The croutons can be made up to a day in advance and stored in an airtight container.
- Cheddar, Pepper Jack, Colby Jack, White Cheddar, or Gouda can be substituted for the Colby.
- Customize with toppings like dill pickles, diced tomatoes, and shredded lettuce.
- Pasta substitutions include elbow macaroni, penne, rotini, ziti, rigatoni, and medium shell pasta.
- For an over the top taste sensation add a little ground sausage to the hamburger mix.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
- Italian – replace the hamburger with ground Italian sausage, omit the cayenne, ketchup, and mustard, add 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning, replace the cheddar with mozzarella but put it all on the top of the casserole.
- Spicy – add minced jalapeno, green chilies, more crushed red pepper, or chipotle peppers in adobo sauce.
- Veggies – add peas, carrots, tomatoes, mushrooms, or bell peppers.
- Meat – replace the ground beef with ground turkey, chicken, pork, or any combination of these.
Other casserole recipes you will love!
A fun and easy Cheeseburger Casserole with ground beef, onion, garlic and pasta in a cheesy sauce topped with more cheese and fresh homemade bun croutons. The end result is so tasty that you will want to make this over and over again.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 6
- Category: main meal beef
- Method: stovetop/bake
- Cuisine: American
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 medium sweet yellow onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ teaspoon ground cayenne
- ⅛ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 ½ tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 teaspoons spicy brown mustard (see notes)
- 4 cups beef broth
- 16 ounces cellentani pasta
- 2 cups shredded Colby or cheddar cheese
- 3 hamburger or hotdog buns cute in cubes
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Start browning your ground beef in a large pot over medium heat. After 2-3 minutes add the onion and continue cooking until the beef is browned and the onions are soft. Add the garlic, cayenne, and crushed red pepper. Cook for 1 minute stirring continuously.
- Add the ketchup, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and beef broth. Bring it to a low boil. Add the pasta and cover the pot cooking the pasta until it is tender. Remove from the heat and stir in half of the cheese.
- Meanwhile in a small bowl whisk together the olive oil, marjoram, parsley, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Toss in the bun cubes and stir gently to coat. Place the croutons on a parchment covered baking sheet. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until crispy.
- Spoon the pasta into a large deep 9×13 baking dish sprayed with nonstick cooking spray, top with the remaining cheese, and sprinkle with the croutons. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the casserole is heated through.
Keywords: hamburger casserole, cheeseburger bake, cheesy hamburger casserole, burger casserole
On the hunt for more delicious recipes? Follow Small Town Woman on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram.https://www.smalltownwoman.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Beth-1.pdf
I never had this before, looks so delicious! I can’t wait to try this recipe 😍
Oh wow that’s a hearty looking dish. I know
My family would Love it.
Thanks Rosey! I sure hope you enjoy it!!
This casserole is so rich and flavorful. Perfect for our family dinner!
Sounds so good! I like how easy this is to put together, and I’m sure it would be a crowd please here.
This looks so tasty! I can easily substitute beyond meat for the burger and make it vegetarian-friendly!
This looks amazing. I’m going to have to give it a try real soon. I’ve been looking for new recipes too. I can’t wait to try this.
Wow! That looks absolutely delicious and tasty! I would really love to try this recipe!
The cheeseburger Casserole was delicious. I am going to make it again soon. Thanks for the recipe.
Jenn @ EngineerMommy
Oh my goodness I need to try this. I love a cheeseburger but this casserole format sounds genius to me!
Such an easy and delicious dish to make for tonight’s dinner. So yummy!
This Cheeseburger Casserole recipe looks really yummy, looking forward to making it.
I’ll take cheeseburgers in any way shape or form! This looks delicious and perfect for busy weeknights.
This looks amazing! I am going to have to try and make it. I love making quick yet yummy food, with my busy schedule.
Thank you for this! I will have to make it for dinner one evening. We would love it.
Finally a dish my family will love that is not burgers. A hit with the whole family!
this was a perfect quick weeknight dinner!
Erin | Dinners, Dishes and Dessert
I know for sure this Cheeseburger Casserole would be a huge hit in my house!
My family loves all the cheeseburger flavors! They will love this casserole for sure!
What a fun dish! It’s so fun and creative and I love the croutons “bun” over the top!
I’m a sucker for a cheeseburger, so having one in casserole form is awesome!
This looks like the perfect comfort meal for my family on a cold evening. Thank you so much for sharing!
This fabulous casserole will definitely be devoured in my house. Will be great for a potluck too!
This cheeseburger casserole looks so good! Such a comforting meal. I especially love the homemade bun croutons. So fun!
This was a big hit at our house! Love the addition of croutons because it adds so much texture!
My family loved this! We can’t wait to make again. Thanks!
Cheeseburger Casserole is always a favorite at our house. We loved your hamburger bun croutons! Brilliant idea.