These luscious Lemon Bars are nestled on a sweet graham cracker crust and swirled with a super easy microwave lemon curd. My family just loves them and they are one of our absolute favorite bars. They are so yummy that you are going to need to pace yourself or you will find that you just consumed three to four of them.
I just love lemons!!! Just the thought of lemons makes my mouth water. I am the one of those people that can just eat the lemon curd right out of the bowl. It is just that good. This particular recipe calls for preparing the lemon curd in the microwave making these lemon bars such an easy treat.
How do you make Lemon Bars?
First in a small bowl stir together graham cracker crumbs, melted butter and sugar. Press evenly into a baking dish that has been coated with nonstick cooking spray.
Now melt the butter for the lemon curd and set it aside. In a medium microwavable bowl stir together the sugar and the egg yolks. Whisk in the lemon juice, lemon zest and the cooled melted butter. Microwave in one minute intervals, stirring after each minute until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. The lemon curd will thicken more as it cools.
Now using a mixer beat the sugar and cream cheese until smooth. Turn the mixer to low and add the lemon juice and one egg at a time mixing just until incorporated. Pour cream the cream cheese mixture over the graham cracker crust.
After the curd cools and thickens a bit you can spoon it in lines down the casserole pan lengthwise. Three lines down the length will work just fine. Now using the end of a shish kabeb stick or a chop stick make small S’s down each line creating a swirl. The curd won’t make great swirls but the objective here is to get lemon curd in almost every bite of every cheesecake bar. Bake in a preheated oven until set in the center. Cool completely before cutting into bars.
Helpful tips for making lemon bars!
- Spray your baking pan with nonstick baking spray as this will add in cutting the bars and removing them from the pan easily.
- If at all possible prepare your lemon curd ahead of time. This allows the curd time to cool and thicken.
- Stir the lemon curd after each minute in the microwave. The process of cooking the curd in the microwave can take anywhere from 4-8 minutes depending on the strength of your microwave.
- If you notice any small bits of cooked egg in the lemon curd run it through a fine mesh strainer.
- Run the lemon curd down on top of the cheesecake mixture in three lines the length of the pan or six shorter lines the width of the pan.
- Use a shish kabob stick or a chopstick to make swirls with the lemon curd once it is on top of the cream cheese mixture. Lemon curd can get thick so the swirls will not be perfect but the objective is to get a little lemon curd in every bite.
- Avoid running the stick to deep in the bars so you do not disturb the graham cracker crust.
- Cool the lemon bars completely before slicing. For the best results refrigerate for several hours up to overnight.
- Avoid over beating the cheesecake batter as too much air can cause the cheesecake to rise while baking and collapse after. Mix just until combined and smooth.
You and your loved ones are going to adore these! Does anyone know how to get a teenager to stop eating these?
Other Lemon Recipes you will love!
- Lemon Ricotta Cookies
- Garlic Lemon Butter Seared Scallops
- Lemon Drop Martini
- Easy Creamy Lemon Basil Chicken
- Lemon Meringue Pie
This post was originally published June 15, 2016 and was republished June 9, 2019 with new content.Print
These family friendly no fail easy Lemon Bars come together quickly with a three ingredient graham cracker crust and microwave lemon curd.
- Prep Time: 25
- Cook Time: 30
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 24 bars 1x
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Graham Cracker Crust
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 6 tablespoons butter melted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
Lemon Curd Filling
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 (8 ounce) packages of cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray 9 x 13 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. In small bowl combine graham cracker crumbs, 6 tablespoons melted butter and 2 tablespoons sugar. Press evenly into baking dish.
- Melt 4 tablespoons butter and allow to cool for 5 minutes. In medium microwavable bowl combine 1/2 cup sugar and egg yolks until smooth. Whisk in lemon juice, lemon zest and melted butter. Microwave in one minute intervals, stirring after each minute until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Curd will thicken more as it cools.
- In stand mixer with paddle attachment mix 1/2 cup sugar and cream cheese until smooth. Turn mixer to low; add lemon juice and 1 egg at a time mixing just until incorporated. Pour cream cheese mixture over graham cracker crust.
- Using lemon curd make three lines the length of the baking dish going all the way to the edge. Using a shish kabeb stick or chop sticks make small S’s through each line. Don’t go too deep as you do not want to disturb the crust. Bake 35-40 minutes or until set in the center.
- Cool completely before slicing. For best results refrigerate for several hours up to overnight.
Lemon curd is too thick to get great swirls from. The objective here is get a little lemon curd in every bite.
Keywords: cheesecake bars, dessert bars, lemon bars, lemon cheesecake, lemon cheesecake bars, lemon curd cheesecake bars, lemon bar recipe, easy lemon bars, best lemon bars, best lemon bar recipe, easy lemon bars recipe, easy lemon bar recipe, how to make lemon bars, lemon cream cheese bars