This delicious Lemon Blueberry Bread is full of plump juicy blueberries and fresh squeezed lemon juice and zest. It is then drizzled with a two ingredient sweet lemon glaze. This along with Strawberry Bread with Whipped Strawberry Butter and Apple Bread with Cinnamon Pecan Crunch are some of our favorite quick breads.
This quick sweet bread is really a cinch to make. You can have it prepped and in the oven in about 15 minutes. I like to use fresh plump blueberries as they really put on a beautiful show because they don’t bleed into the the dough as much as frozen blueberries do. However in a pinch you can use frozen blueberries as well.
Blueberries are my favorite berry so we love to make this bread often. This delectable loaf is perfect for a light breakfast, Mother’s Day brunch menu idea or even after school snack. Make a double batch and freeze one loaf for later this week or next.
How do you make Lemon Blueberry Bread?
First in a small bowl whisk together the flour, salt and baking powder. Next beat your butter and sugars until smooth, creamy and light. Then in a large measuring cup whisk your milk, eggs, vanilla, and lemon juice. Now turn the mixer to low or stir. Add the wet ingredients and the dry ingredient in three parts alternating between the two starting with the wet ingredients. Mix just until incorporated as over-mixing can make a tough batter.
Set aside about 1/3 cup of blueberries. Coat the remaining blueberries with a little bit of flour. Then fold them and the lemon zest in the batter. Pour in the prepared pan and top with the blueberries that you set aside. Bake for about 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for at least 10 minutes before inverting.
In a small bowl mix together powdered sugar and lemon juice. Drizzle over fully cooled bread.
Helpful tips for making Lemon Blueberry Bread
- If available use fresh plump juicy organic blueberries as they really put on a great show.
- Mix the wet and dry ingredients in to the butter mixture just until incorporated. Resist the urge to over-mix as it can make the batter tough.
- Load the bread on the center rack in the middle of the oven and cook it until a toothpick inserted in the center comes on clean. It may have a little blueberry juice on it if you poke through a blueberry and that is fine.
- I like to use 2 cups fresh blueberries reserving at least 1/3 cup of fresh blueberries to push into the top of the loaf before baking. I love a lot of blueberries in my bread. In fact as long as the loaf holds up the more the merrier.
- Let the bread cool for about 10 minutes on a cooling rack before carefully inverting it.
- The bread must be fully cooled before drizzling the lemon glaze.
Other blueberry recipes you will love!
- Fresh Blueberry Cookies with an Orange Glaze
- Blueberry Lemonade
- Blueberry Cream Cheese Bars
- Blueberry Cheesecake Muffins
Lemon Blueberry Bread
An easy sweet quick bread made with fresh lemon juice and plump blueberries all topped with a two ingredient lemon glaze. Double the recipe and make an extra loaf for the family later in the week.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 10 servings 1x
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
- 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 eggs warmed to room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cup blueberries (reserving 1/3 cup for top of the loaf)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 – 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9×5 inch loaf pan with nonstick baking spray.
- In a small bowl whisk together flour, salt and baking powder. Using mixer cream butter, brown sugar and sugar until light and fluffy. In a large measuring cup or bowl whisk together milk, eggs, vanilla extract and lemon juice. Add the wet and dry ingredients to the butter mixture in three intervals alternating between the two starting with the wet ingredients first. Mix just until incorporated.
- Toss blueberries with 1 tablespoon of flour (except reserved blueberries). Remove blueberries from flour and add to batter. Gently fold in lemon zest and blueberries. Spoon into prepared pan. Top with reserved blueberries pressing in slightly. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before inverting on to a cooling rack.
- Mix powdered sugar and lemon juice to desired consistency. Drizzle over fully cooled bread.
Keywords: sweet bread, quick bread, blueberry bread, lemon bread, lemon blueberry quick bread, lemon blueberry bread with glaze