This creamy Salmon Salad is so good that you will wonder where it has been your whole life. You can make this salad with grilled salmon, smoked salmon (my personal favorite), poached salmon or even canned salmon if you so desire. Just flake the salmon and mix with a little more than a handful of ingredients and life is good! Really good!
As summer starts to blend into fall you find your desired meals swinging between the two seasons. Sometimes you are craving some creamy soup or a comforting slow cooked meal like Chicken Stew. Some days might be a little on the warmer side and you just might like some Chicken Waldorf Salad or Chef Salad. This delicious recipe is the perfect warm summer evening dinner yet also a satisfying fall lunch. It is so incredibly easy to make and delightfully scrumptious.
How to make Salmon Salad
Start with cooked salmon. You can purchase it already cooked or cook it yourself. You can grill it, smoke it, poach it or bake it. Then using a fork flake it into a medium sized bowl. Next add the celery, red onion, mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, lemon juice, marjoram, smoked paprika, fresh chopped dill and fresh ground black pepper. Now gently stir all of that until blended. Finally enjoy by itself, stuffed in a fresh sun ripened tomato or between two slices of soft bread with spring greens and tomato.
Recipe notes and tips
- Any cooked salmon will work but smoked salmon tastes the best.
- Use a good quality mayonnaise. I love Dukes mayonnaise with this recipe.
- For a lemony salty twist add 1 – 1 1/2 tablespoons of capers.
- Fresh dill is best with this recipe as it is flavor packed however in a pinch you can use 1 tablespoon dried dill.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge.
- An equal amount of green onions can be substituted for the red onions.
Ways to serve this delicious Salmon Salad
- On a bed of green and red leaf lettuce.
- Between two slices of soft white bread like Italian with lettuce and tomato.
- Stuffed in a garden fresh sun ripened tomato or buttery avocado.
- On a toasted bagel for a quick high protein breakfast or lunch.
- Stuffed in a low carb wrap with lettuce and cucumber for a healthy meal option.
This delicious Salmon Salad is easy enough for a weeknight meal yet elegant enough for company.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: main meal salmon
- Method: bowl and spoon
- Cuisine: American
- 1 1/4 – 1/2 lbs cooked salmon flaked
- 1 rib celery chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill (loosely packed)
- 1/2 teaspoon marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- In a medium bowl combine salmon, celery, red onion, mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, lemon juice, dill, marjoram, paprika, and pepper. Stir gently to combine.
Keywords: smoked salmon salad, grilled salmon salad, cold salmon salad