Chicken Waldorf Salad is tender chunks of chicken mixed with celery, grapes, apples, toasted walnuts and mayonnaise. This delectable recipe is one of our favorite chicken salad recipes. You can serve on a bed of spring greens, stuffed in a sun ripened tomato, or stuffed in a whole wheat pita.
Have you ever tried Waldorf Salad? It is so scrumptious, easy, quick to come together and fancy enough for company. This delectable Chicken Waldorf Salad comes together in about ten to fifteen minutes. This recipe calls for already cooked rotisserie chicken which can be purchased at almost any grocery store or club warehouse like Costco and Sams.
How do you make Chicken Waldorf Salad?
First grab a big bowl for mixing, Cut the chicken, celery and grapes. Toast the walnuts in the oven for about five to seven minutes. Cut the apples and toss with the lemon juice in the bowl. Add the chicken, celery, grapes, toasted walnuts and mayo to the bowl and stir to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve over leaf lettuce or a thin bed of spring greens.
Variations for Chicken Waldorf Salad.
- Don’t like walnuts or have them on hand. Use toasted pecans or sliced or slivered toasted almonds.
- Are you looking for a lighter version of Chicken Waldorf Salad? Substitute half of the mayo with non fat Greek yogurt.
- Want to dress it up even a little more. Add one half cup dried cranberries or dried cherries.
- Do you want to sweeten it up a little bit? Add two tablespoons of honey.
- Want to make a sandwich with the chicken salad? It is delicious on pumpernickel, rye or European whole grain.
- You can sub seedless green grapes for the seedless red grapes.
- You can use any kind of crisp apple like Granny Smith, Cripps Sweet, Fuji, Honeycrisp or Gala.
Can you substitute poached chicken in Chicken Waldorf Salad?
Yes you most certainly can. In fact several Waldorf Salad recipes call for poached chicken. Simply add a couple of chicken breasts to a pot, cover up halfway with chicken broth, add parsley, a small stalk of celery and a little piece of onion, and a clove of garlic. Bring to a boil then turn to simmer. Simmer uncovered for five minutes. Remove from heat and cover for fifteen minutes. Now remove the breasts from the chicken broth and you can cube or shred the chicken and use in the salad.
This amazing Chicken Waldorf Salad is easy, quick to fix, delectable and dependable. Put the ingredients on your shopping list today and let me know what you think!
Other favorite chicken recipes you will love!Print
Chicken Waldorf Salad
This delectable family favorite Chicken Waldorf Salad is tender chunks of chicken mixed with celery, grapes, apples, toasted walnuts and mayonnaise.
- Prep Time: 10
- Total Time: 10
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: salad
- Method: cold prep
- Cuisine: American
- 1 Granny Smith apple cored peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cups chopped rotisserie chicken
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 1 cup red seedless grapes halved
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted walnuts
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In bowl combine apple and lemon juice. Add chicken, celery, grapes, toasted walnuts and mayonnaise. Stir to combine. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve on bed of spring greens or leaf lettuce.
Keywords: chicken salad, waldorf salad , salad, chicken recipe, cold chicken salad