This beautiful and delectable Chef Salad brings all the best hearty protein together with fresh tomatoes, cucumbers and seasoned croutons. This main meal salad is perfect for those busy spring nights and hot summer days.
May is here and there is just so much to do. There are graduations, spring concerts, field days, school award ceremonies, baby showers and weddings. Sometimes a great salad recipe is all you need to satisfy your awesome family. This fabulous Chef Salad will fit that bill perfectly!
What is a Chef Salad?
This traditionally America salad combines hard boiled eggs, several varieties of meats such as ham, turkey, roast beef or chicken, cheese, and cucumbers. It is a gorgeous and is usually presented with the ingredients aesthetically placed before it is tossed.
How do you make Chef Salad?
First hard boil a few eggs. Please see my helpful tips for hard boiled eggs. Once completely cooled peel and cut into quarters lengthwise. Meanwhile cook four slices of bacon either in a skillet or in the oven until crispy. Coarsely chop and set aside for a few minutes.
Next chop and rinse a large head of romaine lettuce. Feel free to add a couple handfuls of spring greens or torn Boston lettuce. Shake or spin the lettuce as dry as you can. Top the bowl with the hard boiled eggs, crispy chopped bacon, Swiss cheese, ham, turkey, cucumbers, tomatoes and croutons.
Top with your favorite salad dressing! Some of our favorites are ranch, chipotle ranch, avocado ranch, bleu cheese, Italian and even a honey mustard vinaigrette. There is really not any wrong dressing for this beautiful salad. Even thousand island and French dressing would be delicious on this salad.
Tips for hard boiled eggs
- Choose eggs that are as close to expiration as possible.
- Add the eggs to a large pot without overcrowding.
- Fill the pot with cold water to an inch over the eggs.
- Add one teaspoon of baking soda.
- Bring the eggs to a gentle boil. Put the lid on the pan and remove it from the heat. Allow the eggs to sit in the pan undisturbed for twelve to fifteen minutes. I use twelve minutes for the medium eggs and fifteen minutes for the jumbo eggs.
- Remove the pan from the stove and place under very cold running water for several minutes.
Other Salad Recipes you will love!
Enjoy my food loving friends!
This beautiful and delectable Chef Salad brings all the best hearty protein together with fresh tomatoes, cucumbers and seasoned croutons.
- Prep Time: 10
- Total Time: 10
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: salad
- Cuisine: American
- 1 small head romaine chopped
- 2–3 cups spring greens or torn Boston lettuce
- 4 hard boiled eggs peeled and quartered lengthwise
- 4 slices crispy cooked bacon
- 1/2 cup julienne strips deli style Swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup julienne strips deli style ham
- 1/2 cup julienne strips deli style turkey
- 1 cup sliced English cucumber (about 1/3 English cucumber)
- 1 cup halved grape tomatoes
- 1 cup seasoned croutons
- 2/3–1 cup salad dressing (ranch, chipotle ranch, avocado ranch, bleu cheese, Italian, honey mustard)
- Add romaine and spring greens to a large bowl.
- Top the lettuce with eggs, bacon, Swiss cheese, ham, turkey cucumbers, tomatoes and croutons.
- Drizzle with your favorite salad dressing and toss to coat.
Keywords: chef salad recipe, main meal salad, salad with ham turkey and Swiss, chef's salad, chef's salad recipe