Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff is the ultimate comfort meal combining tender beef, golden brown mushrooms, sweet onions and garlic in a rich creamy sour cream sauce. It is traditionally served with egg noodles but equally delicious over mashed potatoes, rice or even smashed cauliflower. Creamed Spinach and Green Beans with Toasted Almonds and Garlic are perfect sides for this delectable dish.
It is always a challenge to come up with fun exciting wholesome dishes that your family loves and that can become “keepers” as we call them. This Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff is one of those dishes. My son had three helpings last night. He is a growing boy and burns calories like a speeding locomotive so I did not mind at all. He is usually kind of picky about mushrooms, onions and garlic but not this time. The flavor of the rich creamy sauce brings it all together in perfect harmony.
How do you make Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff?
Start by browning your meat in a little oil in a heavy skillet. I like to use my cast iron skillet. Remove the browned beef and add it to the slow cooker. Add a little more oil and add the mushrooms and the onions. Cook until the mushrooms are golden brown. Reduce the heat to low. Then add the garlic, onion powder, dried parsley and cook for thirty seconds. Remove the vegetables and add to the slow cooker.
Pour in 1 1/2 cups beef broth and Worcestershire Sauce. Plug in and cook for 2-3 hours on high or 4-6 on low. The amount of time will vary depending on what cut of beef you decide to go with. Please see the section of what cuts of beef are best for Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff. Stir together the remaining beef broth and flour and slowly add to the slow cooker. Cover and cook for fifteen to twenty minutes. Turn the heat to warm.
Make sure the cream cheese is soft and stir-able. If not microwave at a reduced power until soft. Remove several tablespoons of the broth to a bowl. Put the cream cheese in a bowl and add just a tablespoon of the broth and stir until it is smooth. Continue adding one tablespoon at a time and stirring. Repeat until the cream cheese broth mixture is smooth. Then slowly stir this into the slow cooker. This method serves the purpose of introducing temperature and moisture to the cheese gradually so it doesn’t curdle or separate.
Slowly stir in the sour cream until smooth. Serve over the cooked egg noodles or add the egg noodles to the slow cooker and stir to coat. Salt and pepper to taste and if desired garnish with fresh chopped parsley.
What are the best cuts of beef for Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff?
I personally like the petite shoulder also known as beef shoulder tender petite roast, bistro filet, rat or teres major steak. Tenderloin, sirloin steak and even stew meat are all good choices. The higher the grade of cut the less cooking time is required. Petite shoulder and tenderloin will require the least amount of cooking time while stew meat will require the greatest amount of cooking time. Ground beef is a also tasty and easy on the pocket book.
What do you serve with Beef Stroganoff?
- Simple garden salad with a light vinaigrette
- Crusty French baguette with cold butter
- Fresh asparagus with lemon and garlic
- Steamed broccoli
- Mashed Potatoes, Egg Noodles or Rice
Other slow cooker recipes you will love!
Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff
Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff is the ultimate comfort meal combining tender beef, golden brown mushrooms, sweet onions and garlic in a rich creamy sour cream sauce.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 150 minutes
- Total Time: 2 hours 50 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: beef main meal
- Method: slow cooker
- Cuisine: Russian
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 1/2 lbs beef petite shoulder cut into bite size pieces (or beef tenderloin)
- 8 ounces white button mushrooms
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 2 cups low sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 8 ounces egg noodles COOKED
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add 1 tablespoon canola oil to heavy skillet over medium high heat. Add beef and brown on both sides. Transfer to slow cooker. Work in batches and do not crowd the pan.
- Add 1 tablespoon canola oil to the skillet over medium high heat and add mushrooms and onions. Cook until mushrooms are golden brown; approximately 7-8 minutes Reduce the heat to low. Then add the garlic, onion powder, dried parsley and cook for 30 seconds. Remove the vegetables and add to the slow cooker.
- Pour in 1 1/2 cups beef broth and Worcestershire Sauce. Cook for 2-3 hours on high or 4-6 on low.
- Mix the 1/2 cup remaining beef broth and flour together. Pour into the crock pot and gently stir. Cover and cook for 15 minutes on high or 20 minutes on low.
- Remove several tablespoons of the cooked broth to a bowl. Put the cream cheese in a bowl and add just 1 tablespoon of broth at a time; stir until it is smooth. Slowly stir this into the slow cooker.
- Slowly stir in sour cream until smooth. Serve over cooked egg noodles or add egg noodles to the slow cooker and stir to coat. Salt and pepper to taste. If desired garnish with fresh chopped parsley.
Keywords: crock pot beef stroganoff, beef stroganoff recipe slow cooker, how to make beef stroganoff in the slow cooker