This mouthwatering good Slow Cooker Mississippi Pot Roast is made with five simple ingredients and less than ten minutes prep time. The hands on time for this pot roast is so minimal making it one of our favorite comfort food meals. I love to serve it with creamy mashed potatoes or Amish egg noodles.
Life is just very busy. There are just not enough hours in day to complete everything you would like to get done. Every family needs a handful or more of recipes they can throw in the slow cooker in the morning and forget about it till supper time. Come evening time your house is full of some of the best aromas and dinner is prepared and ready to put on the table.
How do you make Slow Cooker Mississippi Pot Roast?
First start by browning your chuck roast in a heavy skillet with a little bit of vegetable or canola oil. This step is not an absolute must but I do find that it does add flavor to the recipe by caramelizing the meat and searing in the juices.
Then simply place the chuck roast in the slow cooker and sprinkle on the dried ranch seasoning and the dried au jus mix. Now pour some pepperoncini peppers and their juice over the top. Then place butter cut into tablespoon increments on the top of the roast. Cover and cook on low for about 8 hours or high for 5 hours.
Helpful tips for making Mississippi Pot Roast
- If time allows don’t skip the browning of the roast. It adds a lot of flavor to the dish by caramelizing the meat and searing in the juices.
- For a complete meal add quartered Yukon gold potatoes, quartered sweet onions and carrot chunks about 3 hours after you start the slow cooker on low.
- This recipe can easily be made in a dutch oven. That way you can brown the meat on the stove top and then add the other ingredients as directed to the Dutch oven over the pot roast. Cover and place in the oven at 300 degrees for about 4 1/2 – 5 hours or until fork tender.
- This recipe does not need any additional seasoning including salt and pepper. It bakes up well seasoned.
What to serve with Mississippi Pot Roast
- Mashed or fried potatoes
- White or brown rice
- Amish egg noodles or pasta
- Creamed Spinach
- Cornbread or French baguettes
- A simple garden salad with a light vinaigrette
- Corn on the cob
- Bourbon Glazed Carrots
- Oven Roasted Garlic and Parmesan Asparagus
More slow cooker recipes you will love!Print
Slow Cooker Mississippi Pot Roast
This family friendly six ingredient ten minute pot roast recipe is bursting with flavor. It is easily made in a slow cooker or Dutch Oven. Serve over mashed potatoes, rice or Amish egg noodles.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 hours
- Total Time: 8 hours 10 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: main meal beef
- Method: slow cooker
- Cuisine: Southern
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3–4 lb. chuck roast
- 1 ounce dry ranch seasoning
- 1 ounce dry au jus gravy mix
- 1/2 (16 ounce jar) pepperoncinis with juice
- 6 tablespoons butter (cut in 1 tablespoon increments)
- Heat oil over medium heat in heavy skillet or Dutch Oven. Add the chuck roast and brown on both sides.
- Place chuck roast in slow cooker. Sprinkle with dried ranch seasoning and dried au jus mix. Pour pepperoncini peppers and their juice over the top. Then place butter on top of the roast. Cover and cook on low for about 8 hours or high for 5 hours.
Keywords: crock pot mississippi roast, how do you make mississippi pot roast, pot roast, best pot roast recipe slow cooker