This super easy kid friendly Cheesy Spaghetti comes together in less that 20 minutes and is a the perfect side for so many main courses. We love to serve it with Oven Baked Ribs or Ham Steak with Honey Mustard Glaze.
This Cheesy Spaghetti will quickly become of your family favorites. It is loaded with delicious creamy goodness that all cheese lovers will greatly appreciate. It comes together really quickly and can even wow a crowd. You can make it with different types of pasta and you can add chicken, bacon, onions or peas.
How do you make Cheesy Spaghetti?
First cook the spaghetti according to the box instructions and drain well. Meanwhile in a large saucepan melt the butter over low heat. Whisk in the flour and cook until lightly bubbling and smooth. Now slowly pour in the milk whisking as you go. Continue cooking and stirring frequently over low heat until thickened.
Add the cream cheese and cook until melted stirring often. Slowly whisk in the grated sharp cheddar and white cheddar until melted. Add the cooked spaghetti noodles to the skillet and stir to coat. For best results serve promptly.
We made this recently for my son’s tenth birthday and it certainly was a party pleaser. Even my sons picky friends enjoyed it. The noodles can be cooked ahead of time and the sauce can be prepared and allowed to stay on the stove on warm until the food is ready to serve. Then just combine them and your sauce will not get absorbed into the pasta sitting in it all day.
Tips for making Cheesy Spaghetti
- You can use any type of pasta that would be good with a cheese sauce like bowtie, penne, linguine, or radiatore.
- Use good quality sharp cheddar and white cheddar cheese. It really does make a difference.
- I use 2% milk but in a pinch I have used skim and whole with good success.
- This recipe requires frequent whisking for a nice smooth sauce.
- If the sauce becomes too thick simply add a couple tablespoons of milk or low sodium chicken broth.
- You can add cooked rotisserie chicken, cooked bacon, sauteed onions and garlic, cooked peas, steamed broccoli, or sauteed asparagus.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Other pasta recipes you will love!
- Pasta con Broccoli
- Creamy Chicken Mushroom Pasta
- Cajun Shrimp Pasta
- Cheesy Chicken and Roasted Tomato Mozzarella Pasta Bake
This Cheesy Spaghetti is sure to be loved by both young and old. I hope you and your family enjoy it as much as we do.
This post was originally published July 17,2016 and was republished July 30,2019 with new content.Print
Cheesy Stove Top Spaghetti
This family friendly cheesy spaghetti comes together in about twenty minutes. For a complete one pot meal add cooked rotisserie chicken, crispy cooked bacon, sauteed onions and garlic, cooked peas, steamed broccoli, or sauteed asparagus.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: side
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: American
- 12 ounces spaghetti
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 2 cups sharp cheddar shredded
- 1 cup white cheddar shredded
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook spaghetti according to box instructions. Drain in colander.
- In large saucepan over medium low heat melt butter. Whisk in flour and cook until smooth and lightly bubbling; about 2 minutes. Slowly whisk in milk and Dijon mustard. Continue cooking over low hit until thickened; stirring frequently; approximately 5 minutes. Add cream cheese and continue cooking over low heat until melted; stirring often. Slowly add both cheddars until melted; whisking frequently.
- Combine with cooked pasta and serve immediately.
Keywords: cheesy spaghetti recipe, cheesy pasta, pasta, cheesy noodles