This lusciously rich Chocolate Ice Cream is made with a handful of ingredients in two easy steps and finished in an ice cream maker. So much tastier than store bought with only natural ingredients. My family and friends just love this chocolate treat.
Summer is here and it is time to enjoy some of best that summer has to offer like ice cream. Do you like chocolate? My husband and daughter just love chocolate. This ice cream, Chocolate Dipped Frozen Bananas, Rich Chocolate Pie and Double Chocolate Chip Muffins are just a few of their favorites. This summer treat comes together pretty quickly using my helpful tips so be sure to read them.
How to make Chocolate Ice Cream
Start by combing sugar, brown sugar, milk and cocoa powder in a saucepan over medium low heat. Whisk frequently and scrap the bottom of the pan while bringing to a simmer. Next whisk together the egg yolks until they lighten in color. Now add about 3 tablespoons of the hot cocoa liquid to the egg yolk bowl stirring well to combine and to warm the egg yolks. Repeat this procedure several times until you have added about 2/3 cup of the hot mixture to the egg yolk. Work in small increments and stir between each one. This cooking step is commonly referred to as tempering the egg.
Next whisk the warmed egg yolks into the chocolate mixture. Now stirring constantly cook until thickened without boiling. This will take just a few minutes. Then remove from the heat and cool by placing in an ice bath first and then the refrigerator. Likewise you can also let it cool on the counter. The mixture should chill for several hours.
Once chilled stir in the heavy cream and vanilla. Then pour into your ice cream maker and follow the manufacturers instructions. Check after 25 minutes as you can over churn ice cream.
Helpful tips for this Chocolate Ice Cream Recipe
- Bring the sugar, brown sugar, milk and cocoa powder just to a simmer but not a hard boil. Whisk constantly so the mixture does not burn to the bottom of the pan.
- Make sure you temper the eggs yolks so that you do not end up with curdled or scrambled eggs in your ice cream.
- Once the egg yolks are tempered and mixed into the chocolate mixture cook whisking constantly without boiling until it is thickened.
- Use good quality unsweetened cocoa. I like to use Ghirardelli premium baking cocoa as it gives this ice cream its amazing rich chocolate flavor. Baking cocoa is the same as Dutch process cocoa.
- Check the ice cream mixture after 25 minutes of churning as you can over churn ice cream.
How to temper an egg
You really don’t want to add an egg to a hot mixture without tempering it unless of course you are after that kind of effect like in egg drop soup. But with this ice cream or Rice Pudding we want the egg to fully incorporate into the mixture. In a separate bowl beat your egg or egg yolks. Now simply add 2-3 tablespoons of the hot liquid to the eggs whisking constantly. Once whisked in, repeat again thoroughly whisking after each addition. If the bowl is small enough to fit in the palm of your hand you will probably begin to feel it warm. Once the egg mixture has begun to warm you can slowly whisk it into the warm pot without worrying that you will end up with a scrambled mess.
Chocolate Ice Cream
This delectable rich Chocolate Ice Cream is a summer classic that is made with eggs creating a rich custard texture. This family favorite is then finished in your ice cream maker. Make a batch for your family today and they will be singing your praises.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes plus chilling time
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: dessert
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup 2% or whole milk
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- In a saucepan over medium low heat whisk together sugar, brown sugar, milk and cocoa powder. Bring to a simmer whisking frequently and scraping the bottom of the pan .
- In a medium bowl whisk together the egg yolks until they lighten in color. Add 2- 3 tablespoons of the hot cocoa liquid to the egg yolk bowl stirring well to combine. Repeat this procedure several times until you have added about 2/3 cup of the hot mixture to the egg yolks.
- Whisk the warmed egg yolks into the chocolate mixture; stirring constantly. Cook until thickened without boiling. Remove from the heat and cool by placing in an ice bath first and then the refrigerator; chill for 2-3 hours.
- Whisk in heavy cream and vanilla. Then pour into your ice cream maker and follow the manufacturers instructions. Check after 25 minutes.
Keywords: homemade chocolate ice cream, best chocolate ice cream, how to make chocolate ice cream