This delectable Classic Bloody Mary Cocktail starts with spicy low sodium tomato juice followed with a perfect blend of spices like celery salt, fresh ground black pepper and horseradish sauce. This blend is not for the faint of heart and the recipe includes tips on how to kick it up even a few more notches.
I am sure if you are anything like me than a good cocktail is an essential part of entertaining. I mean honestly your guests did not come to your shindig to drink filtered water out of a plastic bottle. This recipe is all it is cracked up to be and more. For best results mix the ingredients in a large pitcher a couple of hours in advance to allow all the flavors time to meld together. This cocktail is known for its outlandish garnishes so have fun with it and make your friends and family smile. Set up a Bloody Mary bar complete with a cornucopia of garnishment selections. For those that want it extra spicy and hot set out the horseradish, pepper mill, Tabasco, ground cayenne pepper and crushed red pepper flakes.
Fun and sometimes outlandish garnishments for a Bloody Mary
- Dill pickle spears
- Grilled cheese cut in fourths
- Pickled green beans
- Grape or cherry tomatoes
- Candied Bacon
- Steamed or grilled shrimp
- Pickled asparagus
- Hard boiled eggs (I kid you not)
- Celery stalks
- Pickled okra
- Pimento stuffed green olives
- Lemon or lime wedges
- Just about pickled anything….
These mouthwatering good cocktails are dependable, heat and spice adjustable and can be personalized for you and your guests. Put the ingredients on your shopping list today. Your friends will be singing your praises.
Other cocktails you will love!Print
Classic Bloody Mary Cocktail
An easy spicy mix that is perfect for parties, brunch or weekend relaxation time. Be sure to check out the fun and outlandish garnishment section.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 4 cocktails 1x
- Category: cocktails
- Cuisine: American
- 1 lemon juiced
- ½ teaspoon celery salt plus some for rimming glasses (see notes)
- 1 bottle spicy V8 vegetable juice (46 ounces)
- 1 1/4 cups vodka
- 1 tablespoon horseradish
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1–2 teaspoons Tabasco sauce
- Fresh ground pepper (about 15 turns of the pepper mill)
- 2 tablespoons of pickle juice
- Green olives
- Grape tomatoes
- Dill Pickle spears
- Pickled Green Beans
- Using a thin lemon wedge run the rim of the glasses getting it wet with the lemon juice. Place several teaspoons of celery salt on a sallow plate and dredge the wet rims of the glasses through the celery salt.
- In a large pitcher stir together lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon celery salt, V8 vegetable juice, vodka, horseradish, brown sugar, Worcestershire Sauce. Tabasco Sauce, pepper and pickle juice. Chill for at least 2 hours.
- Pour over ice filled glasses and garnish as desired with green olives, grape tomatoes, dill pickle spears, bacon or pickled green beans.
- Use 1/2 teaspoon from any remaining celery salt from the rimming of the glasses to mix in.
- Garnish as desired. See my complete list of garnishment ideas in the post.
Keywords: bloody mary, bloody mary ingredients, how to make a bloody mary, whats in a bloody mary, adult beverage,