Coconut Chicken with Honey Mustard Sauce is a kid friendly and family favorite recipe. Chicken tenders are breaded with coconut and breadcrumbs. They are then pan fried to crispy golden perfection and served with a delectable five ingredient honey mustard sauce that is out of this world good.
I am of the mindset that you can never have too many great chicken recipes. Chicken is easy on the pocket book and so incredibly versatile. I just love this Coconut Chicken with Honey Mustard Sauce. The coconut keeps the chicken so moist. There is absolutely no need to marinate the chicken. Oh and I can’t forget to mention how incredibly scrumptious the dipping sauce is. Trust me when I tell you that this is a family and friend favorite recipe. Whenever I make them they just fly off the platter. Have you tried any of my other chicken recipes? Some of my favorites are Chicken A La King, Easy Creamy Lemon Basil Chicken, and Chicken Waldorf Salad.
What is coconut chicken?
I thought you would never ask. It is chicken tenders breaded with coconut and panko bread crumbs. They are then pan fried in a little oil and served with a delectable five ingredient creamy mustard sauce that will leave you licking your lips.
How do you make Coconut Chicken?
Grab a small bowl and mix together the mayonnaise, mustard, onion powder, garlic powder and honey. Cover and refrigerate while you make the chicken.
Simply pulse the coconut in a food processor to grind it just a little finer. Arrange your bowls with the flour, beaten eggs, and panko breadcrumb/coconut mixture. Pound your chicken a little bit at its thickest parts. You want the chicken to cook all the way through in a relatively short period of time. Then cut your chicken breasts into tenders. Place the flour in a shallow bowl. Beat the eggs in a shallow bowl. Combine the coconut, breadcrumbs, salt and black pepper in a third shallow bowl. Dip the chicken strips in flour, then in beaten eggs, and then in the breadcrumb coconut mixture.
Heat a little canola oil in a large skillet over medium heat. I like to add 1-2 tablespoons of coconut oil but that is completely optional. Fry the chicken tenders for about 2-3 minutes each side until crispy golden brown and cooked through. Serve hot with the honey mustard dipping sauce.
Helpful tips on making the best Coconut Chicken
- Pound the chicken breasts at the thick end and cut into relatively thin chicken tenders as you want the chicken to cook all the way through in a short period of time.
- Take your time breading them and roll them in the breadcrumb/coconut mixture well.
- For additional flavor and super crispy moist chicken add 1-2 tablespoons of coconut oil to the fry pan.
- Don’t skip the dipping sauce. It is equally delicious and the combination of flavors is downright heavenly.
So if you love great chicken recipes and you want something fairly easy that the whole family can enjoy than put this Coconut Chicken on your to try list. It is crispy on the outside and moist and tender on the inside. When you dip it in the creamy honey mustard you will be in seventh heaven.
Other chicken recipes you will love!!Print
Coconut Chicken with Honey Mustard Sauce is a kid friendly and family favorite recipe. Chicken tenders are breaded with coconut and breadcrumbs.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 10
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: chicken
- Method: pan frying
- Cuisine: American
Creamy Honey Mustard Sauce
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (I really like Dukes)
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (please see notes)
- Mix together the mayonnaise, mustard, onion powder, garlic powder and honey.
- Pound down chicken breast and cut into thin strips. Pulse coconut in a food processor a couple of times to make it a little finer. Place flour in a shallow bowl. Beat eggs in a shallow bowl. Combine coconut, breadcrumbs, salt and black pepper in a third shallow bowl. Dip chicken strips in flour, then in beaten eggs, and then in breadcrumb/coconut mixture.
- Heat canola oil and coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Fry chicken strips for 2-3 minutes each side or until crispy golden brown and cooked through. Remove to paper towels to drain. Serve warm with honey mustard dipping sauce.
Canola oil can be substituted for the coconut oil.
Keywords: pan fried coconut chicken, chicken recipe, chicken with honey mustard sauce, honey mustard sauce, chicken fingers, chicken strips