Chicken has got to be the most versatile meat on the planet. I am sure that ground beef is a close second. Pork is the most consumed meat in the world accounting for over 36%. It is followed by chicken and beef with about 35% and 22% respectively. However I don’t think that pork has the same versatility of chicken. This delectable Creamy Lemon Basil Chicken is made in one skillet and comes together quickly making it the perfect weeknight meal. The list of ingredients is short but the flavor is abundant.
Easy Pan Fried Chicken and Cream Gravy, One Skillet Asparagus Stuffed Parmesan Chicken and Sweet and Sour Chicken are just a few of our family and reader favorites to help keep you out of your chicken slump. Creamy Chipotle Pepper Chicken Thighs from Will Cook for Smiles is a fellow blogger favorite.
This scrumptious Creamy Lemon Basil Chicken combines thin slices of chicken breasts with a creamy lemon basil sauce that is lightly seasoned. It is delicious served with a little angel hair pasta or for those watching their carbohydrate count a simple garden salad and fresh asparagus. There isn’t any wine in this recipe but a glass of a nice dry wine like Sauvignon Blanc complements this meal perfectly. Sometimes I like to add capers or place it under the broiler for a minute or two. This recipe does best with heavy whipping cream as it reduces and thickens real well.
So if you have been in a bit of a chicken rut and you would like to shake it up a bit than this Creamy Lemon Basil Chicken is perfect for you. You may already have the ingredients in your pantry and refrigerator.
- 2 large chicken breasts cut in half lengthwise
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil or one tablespoon fresh chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- 1 lemon thinly sliced
- In large skillet over medium heat add 1 tablespoon olive oil and brown chicken breasts on both sides. If necessary work in batches so the skillet is not crowded. Plate chicken, cover and keep warm.
- If needed add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to same skillet over LOW heat. Add garlic, basil and onion powder and cook for 30 seconds. Add chicken broth and stir to scrap brown bits off the bottom of the pan. Add cream and simmer until slightly thickened; approximately 10-15 minutes. Add lemon juice and salt & pepper to taste. Return chicken to skillet and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Top with parsley and fresh lemon slices serve.
Cooking time on the chicken in the final step will depend on how much it cooked while browning and how thick it is. You can always slice a small piece and check. If the sauce gets too thick will cooking add 1-2 tablespoons chicken broth. If it is too thin add 1-2 tablespoons cream.
Other AMAZING chicken recipes you will love!