This delectable Creamy Lemon Basil Chicken is made in one skillet and comes together quickly making it the perfect weeknight meal. The list of ingredients is short but the flavor is abundant. I love to serve it with Bacon Wrapped Asparagus and Creamy Mashed Cauliflower.
Chicken has got to be the most versatile meat on the planet. If your house is anything like ours than you can never have too many great chicken recipes. This scrumptious chicken recipe combines chicken breasts with a creamy lemon basil sauce that is lightly seasoned. It is delicious served with a little angel hair pasta or for those watching their carbohydrate count a simple garden salad and fresh asparagus. There isn’t any wine in this recipe but a glass of a nice dry wine like Sauvignon Blanc complements this meal perfectly. Sometimes I like to add capers or place it under the broiler for a minute or two. This recipe does best with heavy whipping cream as it reduces and thickens real well.
How do you make Creamy Lemon Basil Chicken?
First grab a large skillet and add a little olive oil over medium heat. Add the chicken breasts and cook until golden brown and almost cooked through. Remove from the pan, plate and cover to keep warm.
Now add a little more olive oil to the pan over low heat. Add the garlic, basil and onion powder and cook for thirty seconds. Add the chicken broth and stir to scrap any brown bits off the bottom of the pan. Then add the cream and simmer until slightly thickened. This will take approximately ten to fifteen minutes. Add the lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste. Return the chicken to the skillet and simmer for an additional five minutes. Top with parsley and fresh lemon slice. For best results serve promptly.
Helpful tips for making Creamy Lemon Basil Chicken
- Slice your chicken breasts in half lengthwise to create four thinner breasts. Chicken breasts are so large these days so the portions will be more appropriate and they will cook more thoroughly.
- Heavy whipping cream reduces and thickens well. Half n half or whole milk will not do that and will require some kind of thickening agent.
- Use fresh lemons and lemon juice. It really seals the deal on this scrumptious dish.
So if you have been in a bit of a chicken rut and you would like to shake it up a bit than this Creamy Lemon Basil Chicken is perfect for you. You may already have the ingredients in your pantry and refrigerator.
More chicken recipes you will love!
- Chicken Florentine
- Chicken Barley Soup
- Chicken Chow Mein
- Chicken Scallopini
- Chicken Tetrazzini
- Spinach Stuffed Chicken
This post was originally published February 21, 2018 and was republished November 1, 2019 with new content.Print
Creamy Lemon Basil Chicken
This delicious and simple one skillet chicken recipe combines chicken breasts, garlic and basil in a rich creamy lemon sauce.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 25
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: main meal chicken
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: Italian
- 2 large chicken breasts cut in half lengthwise
- 2–3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil or one tablespoon fresh chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1–2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- 1 lemon thinly sliced
- In large skillet over medium heat add 1 tablespoon olive oil and brown chicken breasts on both sides. If necessary work in batches so the skillet is not crowded. Plate chicken, cover and keep warm.
- If needed add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to same skillet over LOW heat. Add garlic, basil and onion powder and cook for 30 seconds. Add chicken broth and stir to scrap brown bits off the bottom of the pan. Add cream and simmer until slightly thickened; approximately 10-15 minutes. Add lemon juice and salt & pepper to taste. Return chicken to skillet and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Top with parsley and fresh lemon slices serve.
- Cooking time on the chicken in the final step will depend on how much it cooked while browning and how thick it is. You can always slice a small piece and check.
- If the sauce gets too thick will cooking add 1-2 tablespoons chicken broth. If it is too thin add 1-2 tablespoons cream.
Keywords: one skillet chicken recipe, chicken recipe, lemon chicken, lemon basil chicken, basil chicken, chicken, lemon basil chicken recipe, creamy lemon basil chicken, lemon basil chicken breast, lemon and basil chicken