This delectable Cranberry Orange Bread combines the best of sweet and tart into a scrumptious moist loaf! The easy orange glaze takes this sweet bread up to the next level.
Consider yourself warned. This bread is absolutely delicious!
Well cranberry season is right around the corner. Pretty soon we will see those gorgeous berries in the grocery store and we will know that Thanksgiving is near. Look at all those beautiful cranberries. I think this is my favorite fruit bread. Cranberry Orange Bread is a match made in heaven!
Where and how do cranberries grow?
Most cranberries grow in the Northeast. Massachusetts produces about half of the cranberry crop in the United States. New Jersey, Wisconsin, Washington and Oregon also produce and grow cranberry crops. Cranberries grow on low-lying vines in beds layered with sand, peat, gravel and clay. These beds are referred to as bogs or marshes. The growing season extends from April to November. Americans consume nearly 400 million pounds of cranberries per year, 20% of them throughout the Thanksgiving week. Most of the crops are harvested by flooding the bogs with water, the cranberries then float. The farmers then use water reels, also known as “eggbeaters,” to move the water and loosen the berries from their vine.
Health benefits to cranberries!
Cranberries are low in calories. In fact one half cup of fresh cranberries contains only twenty five calories. Cranberries have Vitamin C, fiber and are rich in antioxidants. They have been linked to a lower risk of urinary tract infections. They also act as anti-inflammatory which can benefit people with rheumatoid arthritis, stomach and digestive issues.
How to make Cranberry Orange Bread
In medium bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, orange zest and cranberries. Using mixer cream butter and sugar together until smooth. Add eggs, orange juice, orange extract and vanilla. Mix just until combined. Remove bowl from stand mixer and add flour mixture stirring just until moistened. Pour into a greased loaf pan and top the loaf with one half cup of cranberries.
Bake for one hour or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let set for ten minutes before inverting and removing the bread from the pan. Whisk powdered sugar, orange extract, and orange juice. Drizzle the glaze over the warm bread.
Helpful hints to send this Cranberry Orange Bread over the top.
- You can use dried cranberries to make this bread however it is best made with fresh cranberries. Fresh cranberries produce more flavor and more vibrant color.
- Always cream your butter and sugar until light and fluffy. This can take several minutes and can be done by hand although it is much easier with a mixer. It is even easier in a stand mixer with the paddle attachment.
- Make sure you stir the flour mixture (remember it has cranberries in it) by hand. You don’t want to bust those delicate berries open. You want them to stay intact while baking.
- Only let the bread cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes before inverting. If necessary run a thin knife down the edge and always grease your bread pan well.
- Let the bread almost completely cool before drizzling with glaze. It should be just a tad warmer than room temperature.
- If the glaze is too thick to drizzle add a teaspoon of orange juice at a time. If it is too thin add a tablespoon of powdered sugar at a time. Whisk well between each addition and bring some up with whisk to check drizzling consistency.
This bread is absolutely delicious and perfect for your holiday entertaining or gift giving.
Other cranberry recipes you will love!!
- Cranberry Jello Salad
- Cranberry Oatmeal White Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- Easy Cranberry Fluff
- Easy Cranberry Orange Daiquiris
- Cranberry BBQ Crockpot Meatballs
This post was originally published December 27, 2015 and was republished October 23, 2018 with new content.Print
Cranberry Orange Bread
This delectable Orange Cranberry Bread combines the best of sweet and tart! The easy orange glaze sends this sweet bread over the top.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 60
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Yield: 12
- Category: Sweet breads
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- 5 tablespoons butter softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup orange juice plus 3 tablespoons for glaze
- 1 1/2 teaspoon orange extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9×5 inch loaf pan. In medium bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, orange zest and 1 1/2 cups cranberries.
- In stand mixer cream butter and sugar together until smooth. Add eggs one at a time on low; mixing just until combined. Add orange juice, 1 teaspoon orange extract and vanilla; mixing just until combined. Remove bowl from stand mixer and add flour mixture stirring just until moistened. Pour into loaf pan. Top loaf with 1/2 cup of cranberries spreading them out and pushing in a little bit.
- Bake for 1 hour or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let set for 5-10 minutes before removing from pan.
- Whisk powdered sugar, 1/2 teaspoon orange extract and 3 tablespoons orange juice. Drizzle glaze over warm bread.
Keywords: orange cranberry bread, cranberry bread, orange bread, sweet bread, bread