One Skillet Savory Beef Tips and Gravy combines beef tenderloin, mushrooms, onions and garlic in a rich creamy gravy that is lightly seasoned. It is quick to prepare and mouthwatering delicious. It is amazing served over Amish Country extra wide home style noodles. If you prefer mashed potatoes that is delicious as well. Have you tried any of my other savory dishes? Savory Sweet Swedish Meatballs, Beef Stroganoff and Bacon Asparagus Cajun Pasta are just a few of my favorites.
One Skillet Savory Beef Tips and Gravy is the ultimate in comfort food and is geared a little more towards fall although it is awesome anytime of the year. There is just something amazing about comfort food recipes even if it is a while before we cool back down again.
How do you cook Beef Tips and Gravy?
Start by melting a little butter in a heavy skillet. Add the mushrooms and cook for a few minutes. Now add the onions and cook until they start to soften and the mushrooms turn a nice golden brown. Add the garlic and cook for one additional minute. Remove everything from the pan and place on a plate.
Now add the beef tips to a large ziploc bag with flour, salt and pepper. Add the a little oil in the same skillet over medium heat. Now add the beef tips and cook until browned on all sides. Remove from the pan and place on a plate or you can use the same plate as the vegetables as long as it is big enough. Add the wine to the skillet and stir scraping the brown bits off the bottom. This technique is commonly referred to as deglazing. Add all but one half cup of the beef broth and add the Worcestershire Sauce. Reduce the heat and simmer for five minutes.
Stir one quarter cup of flour with the half cup of beef broth. Slowly whisk the mixture into the liquid in the skillet. Cook for just a couple of minutes or until slightly thickened. Add the mushroom mixture and beef tips back to the skillet. Simmer for about five minutes or so. Season with salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste. Serve over noodles, rice or mashed potatoes.
Helpful Tips for making Beef Tips and Gravy
- Purchase good quality beef tenderloin or steak
- Look for mushrooms that are firm, free from blemishes and have a smooth appearance. They should be dry to the touch but not dried out.
- Always use a wine of good quality. In other words one that you would enjoy a glass of.
- Choose a red that is dry and medium to light bodied. Good choices are Merlot, Pinot Noir or a Cabernet.
- If the gravy becomes too thick upon simmering add a couple of tablespoons of beef broth to thin it out.
- This recipe really calls for the wine and the mushrooms. Without both of them it really is not quite as delicious.
So if you have a hankering for an easy deeeeeeeelish comfort dinner than I have your ticket. This One Skillet Savory Beef Tips and Gravy will make your day!
Other beef recipes you will love!
This post was originally published June 28, 2017 and republished June 22, 2019 with new content and a slightly modified recipe.
One Skillet Savory Beef Tips and Gravy
This mouthwatering One Skillet Savory Beef Tips and Gravy combines beef tenderloin, mushrooms, onions and garlic in a rich creamy gravy that is lightly seasoned.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 30
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: main meal beef
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: American
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 lb sliced crimini mushrooms
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 large cloves garlic minced
- 1 lb beef tenderloin or good quality beef steak ( I use petite shoulder) cut in bite size strips
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup good quality red wine
- 1 (14 ounce) can low sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/4 cup flour (I like to use Wondra flour)
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Add butter to large skillet over medium high heat. When melted toss in mushrooms and cook until light golden brown; approximately 8 minutes. Add onions and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes or until onions start to soften and mushrooms turn golden brown. Reduce heat to low and add garlic; cook for 30 seconds. Remove from pan and plate.
- In large ziploc bag add flour, steak bites, salt and pepper. Shake to coat. Add olive oil to skillet over medium high heat. Add steak and cook just until browned. Remove to plate.
- Add red wine to skillet and deglaze the pan; scraping up the brown bits from the bottom. Pour 1/2 cup of beef broth in bowl and set aside. Add REMAINING beef broth and Worcestershire Sauce. Simmer for 5 minutes; stirring a couple of times.
- In small bowl whisk together beef broth and 1/4 cup flour. Whisk flour mixture into skillet with beef broth mixture. Cook until slightly thickened; approximately 2 minutes. Add mushroom mixture and beef back to pan; simmer for 5-10 minutes. Salt & pepper to taste. Serve over egg noodles, rice or mashed potatoes.
I do think this is one of those recipes that needs the mushrooms and the wine. I have always fixed it that way and I have had some comments about lack of flavor without them.
Keywords: easy beef tips and gravy, how to make beef tips and gravy, quick beef tips and gravy