Nothing really warms the soul like a big pot of fresh soup. You know the kind of soup that leaves you tilting your bowl to get every last drop out with your spoon. Soup really is pretty darn easy to prepare and can fill you up as well or even better than a full meal. I love soup anytime of the year but fall is fast approaching for all of you peeps who need a little cooler weather before you dive into this food group! This delicious Quick and Easy Broccoli Cheddar Soup is perfect anytime!!
“To feel safe and warm on a cold wet night, all you really need is soup.”
I set out to prepare this soup on Friday night for dinner. I wanted it done so that I could take photos before darkness started to descend. No sooner did I start and here came my teenage kids pleading for mercy since my daughter had completely shattered the glass on her cell phone. Oh boy. Needless to say the soup was pulled off the heat numerous times to lecture kids about jumping on the trampoline with cell phones and to call for prices on replacement glass. Soup is a pretty forgiving recipe group. It is really difficult to mess it up.
“Of soup and love the first is best” Venetian Proverb
You can fix this tasty Quick and Easy Broccoli Cheddar Soup in about 40-50 minutes. It combines broccoli, carrots and onions in a rich sharp cheddar cheese broth. You could add a big crusty piece of french bread to dip in it. Oh my heavens why didn’t I think of that the other night.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 small onion finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup half n half
- 2 1/2-3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 large carrots sliced in thin rounds
- 3 cups chopped fresh broccoli
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- In large heavy stock pot or dutch oven melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and saute for 3-4 minutes. Whisk in flour and continue whisking until mixture turns golden brown; approximately 5 minutes. Slowly add half n half and 2 1/2 cups of chicken broth; alternating between the two. Whisk in garlic powder and onion powder. Turn heat to low and simmer until thickened; approximately 10-15 minutes.
- Add carrots and broccoli and simmer approximately 20 minutes. Slowly whisk in cheddar cheese and continued whisking until fully melted. If soup is thicker than you like it slowly stir in a couple of tablespoons of broth at a time (up to a 1/2 cup) until your desired consistency.
Other delicious broccoli recipes!!