Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble is the perfect balance between sweet and tart. The sweetness of the strawberries, the tart rhubarb and crunchy crumbled topping make for a match made in heaven. This is one of my all time favorite rhubarb recipes. It is easy, quick to come together and a family favorite.
Summer is here in all it’s glory. It is going in to the nineties all week and nothing speaks summer like a good fruit crumble. This Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble is so delicious your friends and family will rave about this dessert. Somehow this tart sour vegetable and this sweet scrumptious berry pair to make a winning combination. This crumble is scrumptious just by itself or a la mode. There is nothing wrong with a little french vanilla ice cream on top of your crumble. Are you a huge strawberry rhubarb fan? If so you have to put this on your to try list now.
How do you make Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble?
In a large bowl mix together strawberries, rhubarb, a few tablespoons of flour and the sugar. Spoon into a baking dish. In a medium bowl combine brown sugar, the remaining flour, softened butter, rolled oats and the cinnamon. Using a pastry knife or fork cut in the butter until the mixture is crumbly. Stir in the chopped pecans. Sprinkle over the strawberry rhubarb mixture.
Bake until the top is browned and the mixture is bubbly. Serve warm or at room temperature. The crumble is delicious just by itself or with a little french vanilla ice cream. Leftovers should be stored in refrigerator.
Helpful tip for making Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble
- Shop around for rhubarb via the telephone unless of course you grow it. Sometimes it is difficult to find.
- Do not eat the leaves of the rhubarb. Remove them and discard them. They can be toxic. Learn more at Modern Farmer on 6 Secretly Poisonous Plants.
- Add some nuts to the crumble. It makes it even more delicious and really complements the fruit. I personally like pecans but you could add sliced almonds or chopped walnuts. As we say often in this house wear what you dig.
- I find that one half cup of sugar is perfect for this recipe bringing out the best in the strawberry rhubarb combination.
- This crumble is best baked the same day as it is served so the topping has a little crunch to it. However that has never stopped me from eating it ice cold straight out of refrigerator with a spoon.
Oh my goodness! Doesn’t this Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble look amazing? It is making my mouth water. I could have eaten that whole pan but I think my family would have given me the stink eye. Get on the phone and round up that rhubarb today. You and yours are going to love it! I mean really can’t put your spoon down love it!
Here are more scrumptious summer desserts!
- Drumstick Ice Cream Pie
- Raspberry Ice Cream
- Berry Fluff Jello Salad
- Lip Smacking Good Strawberry Cheesecake Pie
- Lip Smacking Good Lemon Chiffon Pie
This post was originally published June 8, 2018 and was republished April 16, 2019 with new content.Print
Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble
Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble is the perfect balance between sweet and tart. This is one of my all time favorite rhubarb recipes.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 4 cups strawberries hulled and quartered
- 4 cups rhubarb trimmed and chopped into one inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 5 tablespoons butter softened
- 3/4 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped pecan
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray 8 x 11 baking dish with nonstick baking spray for easier clean up.
- In large bowl mix together strawberries, rhubarb, 3 tablespoons flour and sugar. Spoon in baking dish.
- In medium bowl combine brown sugar, 1/2 cup flour, softened butter, rolled oats and cinnamon. Using pastry knife or fork cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Stir in chopped pecans. Sprinkle over strawberry rhubarb mixture.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until top is browned and mixture is bubbly. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving.
- Leftovers should be stored in refrigerator.
- Calories: 232
Keywords: crumble, crumble topping, strawberry crumble, rhubarb crumble, strawberry crumble, summer dessert recipes, strawberry rhubarb recipes