This tasty Seven Layer Salad is a real crowd pleaser with sun ripened tomatoes, sweet peas, hard boiled eggs, crisp bacon and sharp cheddar. Make the six ingredient salad dressing in just a couple of minutes and seal all those wonderful flavors together. This scrumptious layered salad is always a welcome dish. I love to serve it with Ham and Swiss Sliders and Easy Lip Smacking Strawberry Lemonade.
We love to serve this tasty salad at potlucks, family gatherings and neighbor shindigs. People just love it and it is always one of first dishes gone. It is best prepared at least 4 hours before your event, covered with wrap and refrigerated but hold off on adding the final ingredients until right before you serve.
You will need:
- Iceberg lettuce
- Hard boiled eggs
- Sharp cheddar
- Crisp bacon
- Red onions (optional)
- Green onions (optional)
This is called a Seven Layer Salad but feel free to add other layers if you like. Other optional add ins might include:
- Small bites of crisp broccoli or cauliflower
- Sliced black olives
- Diced red bell pepper
- Crisp celery
- Sugar snap peas
- Sunflower seeds
How do you make Seven Layer Salad?
Start by mixing your dressing. Whisk together the mayonnaise, sour cream, cider vinegar, honey, salt and pepper. Now in a large clear bowl or trifle dish layer the chopped iceberg lettuce (reserving about 2 cups) followed by the tomatoes, peas and onions. Now using the sliced eggs position them on their sides while using any extra eggs and the reserved lettuce to sturdy them. Then spread the dressing over the top and smooth to seal. Now cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 4 hours to overnight.
Before serving sprinkle with shredded cheddar, crisp bacon and sliced green onions. This salad is very easy to dig into and toss and as you go. See the picture above of salad halfway consumed. Once it is about 2/3’s consumed I will finish tossing together what is left in the bowl.
Helpful tips for making Seven Layer Salad
- This is a large salad. It serves at least 12 people so plan accordingly. Leftovers are really delicious and the salad holds up fairly well for about 48 hours.
- Spread the dressing to seal the salad. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate from 4 hours up to overnight.
- Feel free to swap out any ingredient that you are not fond of or add layers for more texture and taste.
- Don’t add the bacon, shredded cheddar or scallions until it is time to serve.
- This salad serves very well without tossing it.
- For perfectly peeled eggs bring a large pot of water to boil with a steamer basket. Carefully add the eggs and steam large eggs for 15 minutes. Plunge into ice cold water.
More salad recipes you will love!!
- Strawberry Spinach Salad
- Doritos Taco Salad
- Spinach Salad with Warm Honey Mustard Vinaigrette
- Salmon Cobb Salad with Spinach and Feta
Seven Layer Salad
A delectable layer salad with peas, eggs, bacon, cheddar and a four ingredient creamy mayonnaise dressing. It is perfect for potluck, game day, family gatherings and neighborhood socials.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 12 servings 1x
- Category: salad
- Method: no cook
- Cuisine: American
- 1 1/4 cups mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 head iceberg lettuce chopped
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas thawed
- 1/3 cup thin sliced red onions
- 6 hard-boiled eggs peeled and sliced
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar
- 6 slices crisp cooked bacon
- 2 green onions thinly sliced
- Whisk together the mayonnaise, sour cream, cider vinegar, honey, salt and pepper.
- In a large clear bowl or trifle dish layer the iceberg lettuce (reserving about 2 cups), tomatoes, peas and onions. Using the sliced eggs position them on their sides. Use any extra eggs and the reserved lettuce to sturdy them. Spread the dressing over the top and smooth to seal. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 4 hours to overnight.
- Right before serving top with shredded cheese, bacon and green onions.
Keywords: traditional seven layer salad, seven layer salad dressing, how to make a seven layer salad, seven layer pea salad, make ahead seven layer salad, layered salad