Layered Taco Salad is a gorgeous layered salad of romaine, black beans, corn, seasoned beef, cheddar cheese, tomatoes, black olives, green onions and jalapenos with a simple sour cream and salsa dressing.
This Layered Taco Salad is as beautiful as it is delicious! I love to serve it for a luncheon or a Saturday night dinner complete with spicy Bloody Marys. You can use ground beef or ground turkey. I use ground turkey just because it is a little leaner. You can substitute different items if you really dislike something. A lot of people don’t like black olives. For goodness sake sub some avocado. Just remember chunks of avocado will turn brown if you don’t brush them with lemon juice.
How do you make Layered Taco Salad?
First in a large skillet over medium heat brown the ground beef. When completely browned drain any excess fat. Now add the water and the taco seasoning and simmer for about fifteen minutes. Then in a small bowl stir together the sour cream and salsa. Set it aside while you layer the salad.
Place one half of the lettuce in the trifle bowl. Now top in order with black beans and corn. Add the rest of the lettuce. Then top in order with the taco meat and cheddar. Smooth over with the sour cream/salsa mixture. Add a ring of tomatoes on the outside, followed by a ring of black olives. Now add the green onions to the center and run the rim of the bowl with jalapenos on their sides. If desired serve with ranch dressing on the side.
Helpful tips for making Layered Taco Salad
- Purchase lean ground beef or ground turkey and be sure to cool it a little bit so it does not wilt the lettuce.
- Use good quality taco seasoning. A lot of your flavoring is going to come from the taco seasoning. I buy Spice Islands brand from Costco and I love it.
- If fresh garden corn or tomatoes are available please use them. They are flavor packed and full of natures goodness.
- Any dressing can be substituted but I really love a simple dressing of sour cream and salsa.
- Experiment with other cheeses like Asadero cheese, Monterey Jack and even Pepper Jack.
The flavors in this delectable Layered Taco Salad meld together like a fine tuned instrument. Rarely does something so pretty taste so darn good. Now if you like you can add a little ranch dressing but it really tastes better without it. A little salt and pepper and I am happy as a lark. This beautiful Taco Layered Salad is fancy enough for company yet easy enough for you and the family for a Sunday afternoon lunch.
Other Taco Recipes you will love!
- Doritos Taco Salad
- Fish Tacos with Mango Salsa
- Chicken Taco Casserole
- One Pot Easy Taco Rotini Pasta
- Instant Pot Taco Soup
This post was originally published April 30, 2016 and it was republished December 11, 2019 with new content.Print
Layered Taco Salad
A beautiful layered taco salad recipe made with seasoned ground beef or turkey, romaine and iceberg lettuce, shredded cheddar, sweet tomatoes, black olives, crisp green onions and spicy jalapenos. This layered salad is party perfect and can be modified to suit to your individual taste.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: salad main meal
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 1 1/4 lbs ground beef or ground turkey
- 3/4 cup water
- 4 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1 small head iceberg lettuce washed and chopped
- 4 cups romaine lettuce torn into bite size pieces
- 1 can black beans (15.25 ounce) rinsed and drained
- 1 can corn (15.25 ounce) drained
- 2 cups cheddar shredded
- 1 1/2 cups grape tomatoes halved
- 3/4 cup slice black olives
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 2 jalapenos thinly sliced
- In skillet over medium heat brown ground beef (or turkey); drain fat. Add water and taco seasoning and simmer for 15 minutes.
- In small bowl combine sour cream and salsa. Set aside.
- Place 1/2 of lettuce in the trifle bowl. Top in order with black beans and corn. Add the rest of the lettuce. Top in order with taco meat and cheddar. Smooth over with the sour cream/salsa mixture. Add ring of tomatoes on the outside, followed by a ring of black olives. Add the green onions to the center and run the rim with jalapenos on their sides. If desired serve with ranch dressing on the side.
Keywords: layered salad, party food, taco salad, layered taco salad recipe, how to layer a taco salad, easy layered taco salad recipe, simple layered taco salad, how to make layered taco salad