This easy Creamy Pea Salad is one of our favorite summer dishes. It combines sweet peas, crispy bacon, red onion and cheddar cheese in a creamy five ingredient dressing. This tasty salad comes together in less than ten minutes and it is a favorite at family reunions, potlucks and picnics.
Calling all pea lovers. This salad is such a tasty combination and so incredibly easy to make. The only thing you really need to do in advance is defrost the peas. You don’t have to cook them as frozen peas are already blanched to kill any enzymes. I love to serve this salad with Chinese Five Spice Ribs, Marinated Herb Butter T Bone Steaks and Juicy Lucy. Although it is delicious with many pork, beef , chicken and fish recipes.
How do you quickly defrost the peas?
So you have forgotten to take the peas out of the freezer and company is on their way. No worries simply use the shower option on the kitchen sink and spray the frozen peas with cool water in a colander letting the excess water drain down the sink. It may take up to ten minutes and you will want to let the excess water drain for a while. Shake the colander gently to drain.
Substitutions and adds in for Pea Salad
- Use shredded cheddar or a shredded cheese blend in place of the cubed cheese
- Add 1-2 cloves of minced garlic or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Substitute hard-boiled eggs for the bacon or better yet just add them. I have found that the best way to hard-boil eggs is to steam them. The water should be boiling and the steam should be present before adding the eggs. Steam 15 minutes for large eggs and plunge into ice cold water.
- In a huge hurry? Skip the dressing and add about 1/2 cup of your favorite ranch dressing.
- For extra color and flavor add a little finely chopped red bell pepper or pimentos.
- Substitute finely chopped ham or Canadian bacon in place of the bacon.
How long does Pea Salad last?
When stored in an airtight covered container in the fridge this salad will stay fresh for up to three days. This dish can be prepared up to 2 days in advance if stored properly in the fridge. Reserve cooking and adding the bacon until right before serving. This will help ensure that the bacon stays crisp and tasty.
Bacon is easily cooked on a baking sheet in a 375 degree oven for about 15 minutes. Flip the bacon halfway through the cooking process and turn the baking sheet around to ensure even browning.
How do you make Pea Salad?
Start by whisking together your mayonnaise, sour cream, apple cider vinegar, salt and pepper. Next add the thawed peas, red onion, cheddar cheese and crisp bacon. Then stir gently to combine. Finally season with salt and pepper to taste.
Creamy Pea Salad
This delectable creamy pea salad comes together in less than ten minutes and is a favorite at family reunions, potlucks and picnics.
- Prep Time: 10
- Total Time: 10
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: salad
- Method: no cook
- Cuisine: Southern
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 16 ounces frozen sweet baby peas thawed
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 3/4 cup sharp cheddar cut in very small cubes
- 6 slices smoked bacon cooked crispy finely chopped
- Whisk together the sour cream, mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Add thawed peas, red onion, cheddar cheese and bacon; stirring gently to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Keywords: English pea salad, green pea salad, pea salad with bacon