This zesty sweet Four Bean Salad is the perfect side for all your summer grilling needs. It is quick to come together, nutritious and oh so darn delicious!
This delectable salad is a cinch to put together and you can use any four kinds of beans that you like. If you don’t like Lima beans replace with black beans. If you don’t like garbanzo beans replace with butter beans. You get the idea! Don’t throw the baby out with the bath water!
Have you tried any of my other spring and summer salads? So many things to love about the upcoming season and so little time! Summer Succotash Recipe with Bacon and Okra, Beet Salad with Honey Mustard Vinaigrette and Watermelon Salad are just a few family, friend and reader favorites. Do you have a favorite summer salad? If so please leave it in the comments so we can enjoy it as well.
How to make Four Bean Salad
Folks it does not get much easier than this! First blanch your green beans making sure to plunge into ice water afterwards to stop the cooking process. Then cut them into bite size pieces. Next in a large bowl whisk together cider vinegar, sugar, olive oil, salt and pepper. Then add the celery, red pepper, red onions, Lima beans, garbanzo beans, kidney beans and green beans. Finally stir to coat and chill for several hour to meld all the flavors together.
Tips and hints for this recipe
- This salad is even better if made the day before and chilled overnight allowing all the flavors to meld together.
- Any type of cooked bean will work with this salad. Drain all canned beans and rinse to remove the salt.
- If you want to kick it up a notch add a little crushed red pepper or a couple pinches of ground cayenne pepper.
- Are you always in a hurry or preparing for a party? No problem prepare the dressing up to two days in advance and store in the refrigerator.
What beans can I use for Bean Salad?
- black beans
- cannelini beans
- pinto beans
- great northern beans
- black eyed peas
- garbanzo beans
- kidney beans
- green beans
- haricots verts
- lima beans
- navy beans
So if you love beans and zesty zippy spring recipes are your thing than this is a must. It is a wholesome nutritious dish that you can feel great about feeding your family. Put the ingredients on your shopping list right now while you are thinking about it.
This post was originally published January 23, 2018 and was republished June 3, 2020 with new content.Print
Four Bean Salad
A quick and easy bean salad with a zesty sweet dressing that is perfect for all your spring and summer meals. This salad is perfect for potlucks, family reunions, picnics and pool parties.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes plus chilling time
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: side
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- 3/4 lb fresh green beans
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 1/2 red pepper chopped
- 1/3 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 can (15.25 ounce) Lima bean drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 ounce) garbanzo beans drained and rinsed
- 1 can (16 ounce) kidney beans drained and rinsed
- Trim green beans. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook green beans until crisp tender; 3-4 minutes. Plunge into ice bath to stop the cooking process. When cooled drain well and cut into one inch pieces.
- In a large bowl whisk together cider vinegar, sugar, olive oil, salt and pepper. Add celery, red pepper, red onions, Lima beans, garbanzo beans, kidney beans and green beans. Stir to coat and chill for several hours.
- This recipe tastes best when allowed to marinate overnight.
- Stir several times to make sure the beans get down in the dressing.
Keywords: green bean salad, three bean salad, garbanzo bean salad