Broccoli Salad is one of my favorite go to summer recipes with fresh broccoli, crisp smoked bacon, sweet red onion and crunchy sliced almonds.
It is always one of the first dishes to disappear at potlucks, family reunions and neighborhood shindigs. This dish comes together in about fifteen minutes if you precook the bacon or purchase it cooked. This salad along with Creamy Pea Salad, Summer Succotash Recipe with Bacon and Okra and Easy Mexican Street Corn Salad are some of my favorite dishes to bring to summer gatherings. They are just so incredibly easy and flavorful.
How do you make Broccoli Salad?
Start by mixing the mayonnaise, sugar, cider vinegar and fresh ground black pepper. Set that aside for a little bit. Next cut your vegetables fairly fine so the dressing is distributed well around all the ingredients. Then cook the bacon good and crispy. Chop it fairly fine as well. I like to cook my bacon on a baking sheet at 375 degrees for about 15-17 minutes flipping the bacon halfway through the cooking process.
Now in a large bowl combine the broccoli, onions, bacon, dried cranberries and sliced almonds. Drizzle the dressing over the top and stir to coat. Cover and chill for about 1 hour before serving. Toss again right before serving.
Recipe add ins and substitutions
- Substitute sunflower seeds, pine-nuts or chopped pecans for the sliced almonds.
- Add 2/3 cup shredded or very small cubed cheddar cheese
- If you like things really sweet add another tablespoon sugar to the dressing.
- Substitute raisins for the sweetened dried cranberries.
- Skip the mayonnaise dressing and make a Honey Mustard Vinaigrette.
- Add 1 cup seedless grapes sliced in half or use them in place of the dried cranberries.
- For extra flavor add 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese or go really bold and add 1/3 cup bleu cheese crumbles.
- Reduce the amount the broccoli by half and substitute finally chopped cauliflower.
The Best Broccoli Salad
A family friendly broccoli salad with crisp bacon, onions, sliced almonds, dried cranberries and a lightly sweetened easy four ingredient dressing. This broccoli salad comes together in about 10-15 minutes and is perfect for potlucks, family reunions and pool parties.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes plus chilling time
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: salad
- Method: no cook
- Cuisine: Southern
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1/3 lbs broccoli florets finely chopped
- 8 slices crispy cooked bacon chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup sweetened dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- Whisk together the mayonnaise, sugar, cider vinegar and pepper.
- In large bowl combine the broccoli, bacon, onions, cranberries and almonds. Drizzle the dressing over the top and stir to coat. Cover and chill for 1 hour before serving. Toss again right before serving.
Keywords: broccoli raisin salad, broccoli bacon salad, easy broccoli salad