These scrumptious Ginger Snap cookies are bursting with the complex flavors of ginger, cinnamon, cloves and fresh cracked black pepper. To top off these tasty morsels, roll the cookie dough balls in Turbinado Sugar to add just a little bit of snap and crunch. I love to serve them on my cookie trays with Best Peanut Butter Cookies and Salty and Sweet Cashew Toffee Cookies.
Can you believe how fast this year has gone? Now we are deep in the hustle and bustle of the holiday season. This is the time of year for all things sweet especially cookies. These easy Ginger Cookies will quickly become one of your favorite holiday cookies. Ginger snaps are delightful little treats that are crispy on the outside with soft and chewy centers. They are family-friendly and you can prepare the dough in less than twenty minutes.
How do you make Ginger Snaps?
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, black pepper, ground cloves, ground cinnamon and ground ginger. Next, in a large bowl, mix the brown sugar, oil, molasses and egg. Add the flour mixture to the wet mixture in three parts, stirring just till combined between each part.
Roll the ginger snap dough into one-inch balls using your hands and roll through the sugar. Place on parchment-covered baking sheets with at least 2 1/2 inches between each cookie. Bake in a preheated oven for about 10 -11 minutes. Let cool for about 5 minutes before moving theginger snaps to cooling racks.
These ginger snap cookies are perfect for a holiday cookie exchange. Here are some more holiday cookie recipes that are perfect for parties!
- Easy Homemade Sugar Cookies
- Pecan Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- Pumpkin Cream Cheese Cookies
- Apple Cinnamon Cookies
Tips for making the best Ginger Snaps
- Always preheat your oven and load the cookie tray on the middle rack in the center.
- Refrigerate the ginger snap dough while you are not working with it and in between batches.
- Fresh spices are always the best. If you have a local spice shop, pay them a visit. I have found that dried ground ginger as opposed to fresh ginger works best in these cookies.
- Roll the ginger snap dough into balls that are a little less than 1 inch to get perfectly sized cookies.
- Do not load the dough onto hot or warm cookie sheets. This dough spreads very quickly.
- Parchment paper is a must with these cookies so they do not stick. Turbinado sugar adds a delicious coating to these ginger snap cookies, but they will stick if not placed on parchment paper or silicone mats.
- Leave at least 2 1/2 inches between the cookies so they can spread and so the heat can flow around them.
- If you have time do a test run with one or two cookies. It really helps to establish baking time.
Other holiday treats you will love!
- Foolproof Almond Joy Fudge
- Party Worthy Eggnog Truffles
- Peanut Clusters (Crockpot or Microwave)
- Chocolate Pecan Caramel Turtles
- Eggnog Fudge
An old fashioned Ginger Snap cookie recipe seasoned with cloves, cinnamon, ginger and a touch of black pepper. Before baking they are rolled in Turbinado Sugar to give them crispy, crunchy edges. This family-friendly cookie is easy to make and quick to come together.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 10
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 30 cookies 1x
- Category: dessert cookies
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup Turbinado Sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cover baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats.
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, black pepper, ground cloves, ground cinnamon and ground ginger.
- In a large bowl mix brown sugar, oil, molasses and egg. Add the flour mixture to the wet mixture in three parts stirring just till combined between each part.
- Roll dough into 1 inch balls. Roll through the sugar. Place on prepared baking sheets; leaving 2 1/2 inches between each cookie. Bake for 10 -11 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes before moving to cooling racks.
Keywords: cookies, Christmas cookies, ginger snaps, ginger snap cookies, ginger snap recipe, old fashioned ginger snap cookies, ginger cookies