Easy Peppermint Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies are delicious buttery peppermint chocolate treats that are baked to perfection and topped with a colorful red and white chocolate peppermint kiss. They are the perfect addition to your holiday baking list.
Well it is baking season again. I just love this time of the year with all of its festive fun. Christmas cookies are a super fun tradition in our house and with a little planning it can be done without loosing your mind. Most baked cookies are super freezer friendly and with just a few hints you can master the art of freezing cookies. These Peppermint Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies are so easy, delicious and super freezer friendly. This recipe calls for white chocolate peppermint kisses and they do go fast this time of year so plan accordingly.
How do you freeze Peppermint Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies?
The cookies should be fully cooled before freezing. Carefully pack the cookies in doubled Ziploc freezer bags and place them in sturdy glad-ware containers. When defrosting take them out of the containers frozen and place on serving trays or platters uncovered until they defrost. Then store in airtight containers. Never allow them to defrost in the plastic and the containers. The condensation that builds in there will ruin the cookies.
How do you make Peppermint Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies?
First throw the peppermint kisses in the freezer for about two hours before you start the rest of the recipe. Using a mixer cream the butter and both sugars with until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time and mix just until incorporated. Then mix in the mint extract.
Now in a medium bowl whisk together the flour, cocoa, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Add the dry mixture to butter mixture in three parts. Blend after each addition just until combined and scraping down the side of the mixer bowl as needed. Remove the bowl from the mixer, cover and refrigerate for at least three hours up to overnight.
The dough will be kind of sticky so butter your hands and roll the dough into one inch balls. Place on cookie sheets covered with parchment paper or silicone mats. Bake for about ten minutes. While the cookies are baking unwrap the frozen kisses. Allow to cool for three minutes only and then gently press one peppermint kiss into the top of each cookie. Move to cookie cooling racks being very careful not to the touch the chocolate as it may be soft.
Helpful tips for making Peppermint Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies
- Always preheat the oven and load your cookies on the middle rack in the center of the oven.
- Cover your baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats.
- For best results freeze the kisses two hours before starting the recipe. This will help keep the kisses from melting when you place them on the top of the cookies.
- Gently press the kiss into the top of the cookie creating a small indentation.
- These cookies can be frozen for four to six weeks. I don’t like to go much further than that because of the white chocolate kiss. Simply double wrap in freezer bags and place in a sturdy container. The dough can be double wrapped and frozen for two months.
- If you have time do a test run with one or two cookies. It really helps to establish optimum baking time.
Other holiday cookies you will love!
- Buttery Pecan Snowball Cookies
- Maraschino Cherry Almond Chocolate Cookies
- Peanut Butter Blossom Cookies
- Soft Gingerbread Cookies
- Christmas Sugar Cookies
Peppermint Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies
Fun holiday chocolate thumbprint cookies top with a white chocolate peppermint kiss. These Christmas cookies are family friendly, easy to make and so delectable.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes plus chilling time
- Yield: 28 cookies 1x
- Category: dessert cookies
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon mint extract
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 28 unwrapped peppermint kisses
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cover baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats.
- Cream butter and both sugars with mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time and mix just until incorporated. Mix in mint extract.
- Whisk together flour, cocoa, salt, baking powder and baking soda in a medium bowl. Add the dry mixture to butter mixture in three parts. Blend after each addition just until combined; scraping down the side of mixer bowl as needed. Remove bowl from mixer, cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours up to overnight.
- Butter hands and roll dough into 1 inch balls. Place on cookie sheet with 1-2 inches between cookies.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Allow to cool for 3 minutes only. Press one peppermint kiss into the top of each cookie. Carefully move to cookie cooling racks.
Keywords: cookies, Christmas cookies, thumbprint cookies, chocolate thumbprint cookies, chocolate thumbprint cookies with hershey kisses, thumbprint cookies chocolate kisses, peppermint chocolate thumbprint cookies, chocolate thumbprint cookie recipe hershey kiss, chocolate hershey kiss thumbprint cookies