This highly popular southern Pineapple Casserole is made with sweet pineapple, tasty cheddar cheese and buttery cracker crumbs. This amazingly easy and scrumptious dish is sure to become one of your favorites. I love to serve this with Oven Baked Ribs or Ham Steak with Honey Mustard Glaze.
This delectable casserole is a friend and family favorite and once you try it you will understand exactly why. I know what you are thinking! How good could pineapple, cheddar cheese, flour and buttered crackers taste together. What and odd combination. Well let me tell you it is the best! It only takes about ten minutes to make and it will knock your socks off quite literally. Take it to the next family gathering and watch it disappear. It is just that good.
How do you make Pineapple Casserole?
Start by draining the pineapple well. Next whisk together the flour and sugar. Now add the pineapple and both cheddar cheeses. I like to use a combination of sharp cheddar and white cheddar but you could use either or. Next spoon the contents into a greased casserole dish.
Now combine the crushed crackers with the melted butter and sprinkle on the top of the dish. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the cracker crumbs are golden brown. Finally serve promptly as this dish is best served hot while the cheese is melted and it is heated through.
Can I use fresh pineapple in this recipe?
I do not recommend using fresh pineapple as it is not always as sweet as canned pineapple. The texture of fresh pineapple is a little stiffer as there is some heat involved in the canning process that softens the pineapple. Canned pineapple is also considerably juicier. Normally I like to use the freshest ingredients possible but for this recipe canned pineapple works best. Trust me on this one.
Recipe add ins for Pineapple Casserole
- 2/3 cup chopped roasted pecans or walnuts
- 2/3 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup halved maraschino cherries
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
- Any combination of the above
Tips for making Pineapple Casserole
- This tasty dish is delicious both as a side and a dessert.
- Grease the casserole dish for easier clean up
- Drain as much of the juice off the crushed pineapple and pineapple tidbits as possible. I drain mine into a glass so my son can enjoy the pineapple juice.
- Canned pineapple is best for this recipe. I use the pineapple packed in its own juice.
- Preheat the oven and bake 30-40 minutes or until the cracker crumbs are golden brown and the casserole is heated through with the cheese melted.
- Store leftovers covered in the fridge for up to four days, It can be reheated in the microwave or cover with aluminum foil and heat at 350 degrees for about 10-15 minutes.
This traditional southern Pineapple Casserole recipe brings canned pineapple, flour, cheddar cheese, butter and crushed crackers together in a mouthwatering dish that can serve as a side or a dessert.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: side dish
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: Southern
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple tidbits drained (see notes)
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple drained (see notes)
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar
- 1 cup shredded white cheddar
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- 40–50 Ritz crackers crushed (or other buttery crackers)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 inch square or 1 1/2 quart baking dish.
- Whisk together flour and sugar together. Stir in the pineapple and cheddar cheese. Spoon the contents into a prepared casserole dish.
- Combine the melted butter and crushed crackers. Sprinkle on the top of the dish. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the cracker crumbs are golden brown and the casserole is heated through. Serve promptly.
- I like to use the canned pineapple in its own juice.
Keywords: pineapple cheese casserole, baked pineapple casserole, pineapple casserole with Ritz crackers