King Ranch Chicken is a fun family recipe full of shredded chicken, corn tortillas, onions, bell peppers, garlic, jalapenos and tomatoes in a creamy chicken sauce and topped with cheddar jack cheese. This easy dinner recipe made in one skillet and can be prepared in under 30 minutes using precooked cubed or shredded chicken.
If your house is anything like mine than quick and easy chicken recipes are a must! This one even comes with a bonus. Yeah! Did someone say bonus? It is all made in one ovenproof skillet. The flavor combinations in this delicious dish are just perfect. I love to poach my chicken for this recipe but feel free to bake it or even use already prepared rotisserie chicken that you can pick up at almost any grocery store or warehouse store. This easy dinner recipe does not contain any canned soup as it is so easy to make a roux to thicken the chicken broth. Then I season the chicken sauce with cumin, chili pepper, and a pinch of cayenne.
How to poach your chicken for this recipe
If you wish to poach your chicken breasts for this recipe then simply place the chicken breasts in a skillet and add about 4 cups cool low sodium chicken broth along with a few peppercorns, a few sprigs of cilantro, and a clove of garlic. Now heat to a low simmer and cook uncovered for 3-4 minutes. Then cover and remove from the heat. Let sit for about 12- 15 minutes or until the chicken breasts reach an internal temperature of 155 degrees. Then remove them from the chicken broth and let them rest for 5-10 minutes. Finally shred or cube the chicken. Reserve the chicken broth or better yet use some of it in the recipe.
Tips for making King Ranch Chicken
- Cut your vegetables in small bite size pieces and mince your garlic and jalapeno. Consequently that will ensure that each bite of this skillet recipe is a cornucopia of great flavors.
- You can use either white corn or yellow corn tortillas as both work equally well.
- With just a little patience and understanding you too can pick jalapenos that are flavorful yet mild. Therefore always look for the younger peppers that are smooth and green all over. They should be free of any striations. Also remove veins and seeds before mincing. Be sure to wash your hands thoroughly after handling jalapenos so you do not inadvertently touch your eye.
- The jalapeno can be omitted for those with a sensitive palate.
- This recipe moves fairly quickly so plan ahead and have all your ingredients in close proximity.
- This can also be assembled and baked in an 8 or 9 inch casserole dish.
More chicken recipes you will love!
- Chicken Shawarma Recipe
- Gouda Spinach Hasselback Chicken
- Chicken Lazone Recipe
- Italian Pan Fried Chicken
King Ranch Chicken (No Canned Soup)
Corn tortillas, chicken, onions, peppers, tomatoes and cheddar jack cheese are combined in a creamy chicken sauce, covered with cheese and baked to golden perfection. This quick and tasty recipe is ready in about 30 minutes and made in one easy ovenproof skillet.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 serving 1x
- Category: main meal chicken
- Method: stove top/bake
- Cuisine: Tex Mex
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 green pepper finely diced
- 1 red pepper finely diced
- 1 small onion finely diced
- 1 small jalapeno minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 pinches ground cayenne pepper
- 6 (6 inch) white or yellow corn tortillas cut in 1 inch segments
- 2 cups cooked chicken (diced or shredded)
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies (drained)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar jack cheese (or any Mexican blend)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add olive oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Add bell peppers, onions and jalapenos. Cook for 4-5 minutes; or until the vegetables are soft. Reduce heat to low. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute stirring continuously. Remove vegetables to plate, cover to keep warm.
- Melt butter in pan over medium low heat. Sprinkle in flour. Whisk to combine cooking for 1-2 minutes; whisking continuously. Whisk in chicken broth, cumin, chili powder and cayenne. Reduce to a simmer and cook until slightly thickened; approximately 3 minutes.
- Stir in corn tortillas, cooked chicken and drained tomatoes with green chilies.
- Sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 20 minutes; or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with cilantro. Serve promptly.
Keywords: chicken recipes, easy chicken casseroles, easy chicken recipes, easy chicken skillet recipes, king ranch chicken casserole, king ranch chicken recipe, no canned soup king ranch chicken, one skillet chicken recipes