This Peach Coffee Cake has a sour cream cake base, peach center and crunchy crumb oatmeal topping. It is a family favorite and I love to serve it for brunch and holidays. You can use fresh peaches, canned peaches or even canned peach pie filling.
Are you a big peach fan? My daughter and I love peaches and we can not wait for them to come in. Spring is finally here and we are just chomping at the bit to make some spring and summer goodies. This Peach Coffee Cake hit the mark just right. I prefer fresh peaches but this time around I could not get them so I choose the canned peach pie filling. I made this in a spring-form pan but you make it in a square 9 X 9 inch baking pan as well.
How do you make Peach Coffee Cake?
First whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together. Next cream your butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. This can take several minutes. Then turn the mixer to low and add your eggs one a time mixing just until incorporated. Now mix in the sour cream and vanilla. Then blend in the flour mixture in three intervals.
Now spread half of that mixture in the prepared pan and layer peaches on top. Next drop the remaining dough on top with rounded spoonfuls. Now combine the flour, brown sugar, rolled oats and cinnamon. Using a pastry knife cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Finally sprinkle over coffee cake and bake.
This delectable Peach Coffee Cake comes together pretty quickly and the aroma of sweet baking peaches is just amazing. The base dough has sour cream added to it to keep it moist. The crumb oatmeal topping gives the coffee cake just a touch of sweet crunch. Sometimes I shake this up a bit and add a little cinnamon and nutmeg. I can’t wait for flavor packed fresh peaches to come in as I prefer them to the canned version. This would make such a nice breakfast for Mother’s Day or for a family brunch.
Helpful tips for making Peach Coffee Cake
- Always preheat your oven and load the coffee cake on the center rack in the middle of the oven,
- Feel free to use fresh peaches, canned peaches or peach pie filling. They are all delicious.
- Soften your butter and bring your eggs to room temperature.
- Cream your butter and sugar until light and fluffy. This usually takes between 2-4 minutes.
- Beat in the eggs, vanilla and flour mixture just until incorporated as over-beating can produce a tough batter.
- The batter is very thick so it is easier to work with a spoon sprayed with nonstick spray.
So put this Peach Coffee Cake on your to try list and make your family a scrumptious homemade treat. They will be singing your praises and asking for seconds.
More peach recipes you will love!
This post was originally published April 22, 2018 and was republished April 10, 2020 with new content.Print
Peach Coffee Cake
A family friendly sweet peach coffee cake with a sour cream base and a crunchy oatmeal crumb topping. It can be prepared with fresh peaches, canned peaches or peach pie filling.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: breakfast
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: Southern
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 peaches peeled pitted and sliced
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons butter softened
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray spring-form or 9 x 9 pan with nonstick baking spray. In medium bowl whisk together 2 cups flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Using mixer cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Turn mixer to low and beat in eggs one at a time just until incorporated. Stir in sour cream and vanilla. Stir in flour mixture in three intervals.
- Spread half of the batter in the prepared pan. It will be thick (see notes). Top with peaches. Top with rest of the batter.
- In medium bowl combine 1/3 cup flour, brown sugar, rolled oats and cinnamon. Using pastry knife cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle over cake.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Allow cake to cool slightly before removing spring form sides.
The batter is very thick and easier to work with buttered hands or a spoon sprayed with nonstick spray.
Keywords: coffeecake, coffee cake recipe, peach sour cream coffee cake, recipe for fresh peach coffee cake, coffee cake with crumb topping