This amazing Fresh Pesto sauce is just bursting with flavor from fresh basil, toasted pine nuts, sautéed garlic, and fresh Parmesan Cheese. It takes just minutes to make and I love to serve it with grilled chicken and fish. This homemade pesto is so much better than store bought with considerably less salt.
How to make Pesto Sauce
Start by toasting the pine nuts in a skillet over medium heat. Then remove them to a plate and let them cool. Next add the a little olive oil to same skillet over medium low heat. Then add the minced garlic and sauté for about 1 minute stirring constantly. Remove the garlic to a small bowl to cool.
Then combine the fresh basil and toasted pine nuts in a food processor and pulse for about 10 seconds. Now add the garlic and Parmesan cheese and pulse a few more seconds. Then with the food processor running slowly drizzle in the olive oil. Now season with salt and pepper to taste.
Uses for pesto sauce
- Pasta – penne, ziti, fettucine, spaghetti, and fusilli
- Vegetables – roasted, grilled, zoodles (zucchini noodles), cauliflower, cauliflower gnocchi
- Protein – chicken, pork, seafood, steak, and meatloaf
- Other goodies – pizza, sandwiches, French or Italian bread
Other sauces you will love!Print
Fresh Pesto Sauce
A quick and easy Homemade Pesto Sauce made with five ingredients in less than ten minutes in a food processor. Enjoy it over pasta, chicken, steak, seafood, and grilled or roasted vegetables.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 1 cup 1x
- Category: sauce
- Method: food processor
- Cuisine: Italian
- ⅓ cup pine nuts
- 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups fresh basil
- ⅓ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a dry skillet over medium heat. Add the pine nuts. Toast 2-3 minutes stirring very frequently. Plate them to cool.
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon olive oil in same skillet over medium low heat. Cook garlic 1 minute; stirring frequently. Remove from heat and cool.
- Combine the fresh basil and toasted pine nuts in a food processor and pulse for 10 seconds. Add the garlic and Parmesan cheese and pulse 2-3 seconds.
- With the food processor running slowly drizzle in the 1/2 cup olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Keywords: how to make pesto sauce, basil pesto, what is pesto, homemade pesto