There is nothing like cheesy creamy potatoes. You will love them. They are a tantalizing treat for your taste buds. I used a mixture of Gouda and white cheddar. I find the two cheeses work perfectly in Au gratin potatoes. I also added bacon and green onions to create a little bit more of a complex flavor!
They always turn out so dreamy and creamy. They would go great with a steak or grilled pork tenderloin.
My daughter helped prepare these. Perhaps you can find a sous-chef in your household.
Well why are you still drooling over the pictures. Go prepare your potatoes. You will love the results!Print
Potatoes Au Gratin
- 6 large potatoes scrubbed and sliced into 1/4 inch wide slices
- 8 slices crispy bacon diced
- 5–6 green onions sliced the white and light green parts only
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 1/2 cups Gouda cheese shredded
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups half n half
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 cups white cheddar shredded
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease 9×13 inch casserole dish. Layer 1/2 the potatoes in the bottom of the casserole. Sprinkle green onions and bacon over the potatoes. Salt & pepper lightly. Sprinkle 3/4 cup of Gouda cheese over this layer.
- Melt butter over low heat in large saucepan. Add garlic and saute for 1 minute. Whisk in flour. Add milk and half n half alternating between the two 1/2 cup at a time. Cook over low heat whisking constantly until thickened. Add the cheddar cheese and continue stirring until the cheese has melted. Turn off, cover and remove from heat.
- Layer the remaining potatoes in the casserole dish. Pour the hot white cheddar mixture over the potatoes. Top with the remaining shredded Gouda.
- Bake covered with aluminum foil for 1 hour. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 30-40 minutes.