These easy Twice Baked Potatoes are the perfect side for steak, pork, fish and chicken. They are quick to come together and can be prepared in advance. For a complete meal serve with my Dry Rub Sweet Barbecue Pork Tenderloin or Balsamic Vinegar Barbecue Ribs.
I love potatoes and I love comfort food! Now these Traditional Twice Baked Potatoes are the best of both worlds. I have been making these for years. They are as good now as they were thirty years ago. These Traditional Twice Baked Potatoes are filled with creamy potatoes mixed with sour cream, milk, butter, cheddar cheese, Monterey Jack and a perfect blend of spices. For the ultimate finish add bacon, scallions, chives, Sauteed Mushrooms and Onions or all of the above.
How do you make Twice Baked Potatoes?
First grab those taters and wash, dry, prick 2-3 times with a fork, rub with oil and sprinkle with salt. Then place on a baking sheet and cook for about 45 minutes or until the potato is tender. Next let the potatoes cool for about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile in a large bowl add the sour cream, butter, cheddar cheese, Monterey Jack, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Then cut the potato in half and gently scoop out the cooked potato leaving about a 1/3 inch shell all the way around. Now add the potatoes to the bowl with the other ingredients and using a hand held mixer blend until smooth. The amount of milk may vary slightly so add a little at a time until the mixture is creamy.
Finally scoop the mixed potatoes back into the shells. Top with a sprinkle of cheddar cheese and bake for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with chopped bacon and scallions.
Helpful tips and notes for this recipe
- Russet potatoes work best for this recipe.
- Take the time to dry the potatoes after washing, prick 2-3 times with a fork, rub with oil and sprinkle with salt. It gives the outer shell a delicious crispness.
- Resist the urge to wrap the potatoes in aluminum foil. Just place them on a baking sheet and pop in the oven.
- For added crispiness place the empty shells back in the oven while you gather the ingredients for the stuffed potato mixture.
- Use good quality cheese. It really does make a difference. Experiment with switching the cheeses up. Some of my favorites are Gruyere, Gouda, Fontina and Muenster.
- Keep a close eye on the stuffed potatoes when they are placed back in the oven. If left in too long a lot of the potato mixture will cook over the side.
- Top the potatoes however you like although my favorites are bacon and scallions.
- Use finely grated cheese as it melts faster and gives a much better appearance when melted on the tops of the potatoes.
What to top Twice Baked Potatoes with:
- bacon crispy chopped
- scallions thinly sliced
- chives thinly snipped
- cheese finely grated (try cheddar, Monterey Jack, Gruyere, Gouda, Fontina or Muenster)
- jalapenos thinly sliced
- any fresh herbs (try rosemary, oregano, parsley or thyme)
Other potato recipes you will love!
This post was originally published November 16, 2016 and was republished July 20, 2020 with new content, pictures and modified recipe.Print
Traditional Twice Baked Potatoes
These family friendly Twice Baked Potatoes are made with many ingredients that you may already have on hand. They are creamy, delicious and are the perfect side for all of your favorite main dish recipes. Top with fresh herbs from your garden.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: side
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
- 4 russet potatoes
- olive oil
- salt for sprinkling potatoes
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup Monterey Jack finely shredded
- 1 cup cheddar finely shredded (reserve 1/4 cup for the tops)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4–1/3 cup milk
- 2 slices crispy cooked bacon chopped
- 1 scallion thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Dry the potatoes after washing, prick 2-3 times with a fork, rub with oil and sprinkle with salt. Place them uncovered on a baking sheet. Bake potatoes for 45-60 minutes or until soft to the touch when gently squeezed. Remove from oven and allow to cool enough to handle them.
- In a large bowl add the sour cream, butter, Monterey Jack, 3/4 cup cheddar cheese, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Cut potatoes in half lengthwise and gently scoop out the cooked potato leaving 1/3 inch shell all the way around. Add the potatoes to the bowl with the other ingredients and using a hand held mixer blend until smooth. Add milk; the amount of milk may vary slightly so add a little at a time until the mixture is creamy.
- Scoop the mixed potatoes back into the shells. Top with a sprinkle of cheddar cheese. Bake at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes. Remove from oven and top with bacon and scallions.
Keywords: how to make twice baked potatoes, twice baked mashed potatoes, easy twice baked potatoes, best twice baked potatoes