This delectable Rachel Sandwich is a close cousin to the Reuben Sandwich only the corned beef is replaced with turkey and the sauerkraut is replaced with coleslaw. Odds are pretty good that if you love the Reuben than you are going to love the Rachel.
This delicious hot mess comes together in less than ten minutes and is always a friend and family favorite. We have a thing for great sandwiches around here. Nothing satisfies like a great hot toasted sandwich for lunch.
How to make a Rachel Sandwich
Start by mixing the mayonnaise, grated onion, ketchup, sweet pickle relish, paprika and salt together. Now place a piece of swiss cheese on each slice of bread. Divide the coleslaw evenly while spooning on top of the Swiss on half of the slices. Then layer the turkey on the other half of the slices. Now divide the thousand island dressing evenly while spreading over the slices with turkey. Sandwich the slices together by combing one turkey slice with one coleslaw slice.
Then spread soft butter over the top of each sandwich. Place the sandwich butter side down in a hot skillet over medium low heat. Now spread butter over the side facing up. Then cover the skillet loosely with aluminum foil. Cook until the bottom is golden brown then flip. Finally cover and cook until the other side is golden brown and until the sandwich is heated through and the cheese is melted.
Recipe notes and helpful tips
- Use good quality rye, pumpernickel or a rye/pumpernickel blend or swirl. Or for a change of pace try a fresh sourdough bread.
- The dressing can be made up to several days in advance.
- Protip – microwave the sliced turkey for about 45 seconds at 50% power to take the chill off. You don’t want to cook it, you just want to ensure that your sandwich is heated all the way through and is one glorious hot mess.
- Cover the skillet loosely with aluminum foil so the whole sandwich warms all the way through and the cheese melts perfectly.
- Any good quality creamy coleslaw will work. I sometimes use leftover homemade creamy coleslaw or I pick up a little bit at one of my favorite local grocery stores.
- These sandwiches are best enjoyed right after grilling while the cheese is melted, the sandwich is hot, and the bread is toasted.
What is the difference between a Reuben and Rachel Sandwich
These sandwiches are quite similar and both equally delicious. Enjoy them as written or change them up and create your own new masterpiece.
- Reuben Sandwich – corned beef, Swiss cheese, sauerkraut, thousand island or Russian dressing on rye bread
- Rachel Sandwich – turkey, Swiss cheese, creamy coleslaw, thousand island or Russian dressing on rye bread
More sandwich recipes for you to enjoy
- Classic Club Sandwich – This classic club sandwich is layered with smoky ham, roasted turkey, crisp bacon, fresh lettuce, juicy tomatoes, cheddar cheese, and mayonnaise spread on every slice of this triple toast extravaganza.
- Italian Beef Sandwiches – These easy crock pot Italian Beef Sandwiches are an all time favorite and perfect for potlucks, gameday and movie night.
- Monte Cristo Sandwich – The delicious Monte Cristo Sandwich is made with ham, turkey and Swiss Cheese between two slices of white bread that has been dipped in egg batter and fried up golden brown in a skillet.
- Fried Egg Sandwich – This delicious Fried Egg Sandwich is so easy and so scrumptious. You can whip one together in just a few minutes and it tastes like heaven!
The Rachel Sandwich is a delectable turkey, Swiss, and coleslaw sandwich lathered with homemade thousand island dressing and grilled to perfection.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 4 sandwiches 1x
- Category: lunch/sandwich
- Method: griddle
- Cuisine: American
Thousand Island Dressing
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons grated onion
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 1 pinch paprika
- 1 pinch salt
- 8 slices rye bread
- 8 slices swiss cheese
- 1 cup creamy coleslaw
- 1 lb. sliced turkey (or more depending on appetite)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Mix the mayonnaise, grated onion, ketchup, sweet pickle relish, paprika and salt together.
- Place a piece of Swiss cheese on each slice of bread. Divide the coleslaw evenly while spooning on top of the cheese on half of the slices. Layer the turkey on the other half of the slices. Divide the thousand island dressing evenly while spreading over the turkey. Sandwich the slices together by combing one turkey slice with one coleslaw slice.
- Spread the butter over the top of each sandwich. Place the sandwich butter side down in a hot skillet over medium low heat. Now spread butter over the side facing up. Cover the skillet loosely with aluminum foil. Cook until the bottom is golden brown then flip. Cover and cook until the other side is golden brown. Cook until the sandwich is heated through and the cheese is melted.
Keywords: what is a Rachel Sandwich, what is on a Rachel Sandwich, turkey reuben sandwich, turkey rachel