This scrumptious toasted Reuben Sandwich is piled high with Swiss cheese, thin sliced corned beef, sauerkraut, and homemade thousand island dressing all on rye bread. This is the best reuben and one of mine and hubby’s absolute favorite sandwiches.
It is a hearty and filling sandwich so we like to serve it with a light vegetable salad like Creamy Cucumber Tomato Salad or Vinegar Coleslaw. Or you could easily do potato chips, french fries or even Dill Pickle Potato Salad.
Why this recipe works?
- This is one of the tastiest sandwiches under the sun. It is always a huge hit with family and friends. You are going to love it.
- These sandwiches are so easy to make that even tweens can handle this recipe. No special techniques or ingredients are required to master this one.
- You can easily scale this recipe for one sandwich or break out a couple of skillets and make enough for the wrestling team.
How do you make a Reuben Sandwich?
Start by mixing all the ingredients for the thousand island dressing together. Next place a piece of Swiss cheese on each slice of bread. Then spread the cheese with the homemade thousand island dressing. Now add the corned beef to one side and the sauerkraut to the other side. If desired spread a little more thousand island dressing.
Then carefully fold the two sides together to form a sandwich. Spread soft butter over the top and place butter side down in a hot skillet. Now spread butter over the side facing up. Cover the skillet loosely with aluminum foil. Cook until the bottom is golden brown then flip and cook until that side is golden brown. The sandwich should be heated through and the cheese should be melted.
Recipe notes and helpful tips
- Use good quality rye, pumpernickel or a rye/pumpernickel blend or swirl.
- Drain the sauerkraut well and squeeze or press against the side of the colander to release any excess moisture. No one likes a soggy sandwich.
- Put the cheese on the bread first as this helps the cheese melt better by being close to the heating element and it also helps keep the bread from getting soggy.
- I like the corned beef sliced thin so the swiss and homemade thousand island dressing can meld in between the slices.
- Protip – microwave the corned beef for about 45 seconds at 50% power to take the chill off. You don’t want to cook it you just want to ensure that your sandwich is heated all the way through and is one glorious hot mess.
- The dressing can be made up to several days in advance.
- Cover the skillet loosely with aluminum foil so the whole sandwich warms all the way through and cheese melts perfectly.
Other sandwiches you will love!
- Italian Beef Sandwiches
- Monte Cristo Sandwich
- Meatball Subs
- Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese
- Best Chili Cheese Dogs
- Po Boy Sandwich
The homemade thousand island dressing takes this Reuben Sandwich over the top. Better than your favorite restaurant reuben this sandwich hits the sweet spot just right.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: lunch, dinner
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Thousand Island Dressing
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons grated onion
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 1 pinch paprika
- 1 pinch salt
- 12 ounces corned beef
- 8 slices rye (or rye and pumpernickel mixed)
- 8 slices swiss cheese
- 1 cup sauerkraut (well drained)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- In a medium bowl mix the mayonnaise, grated onion, ketchup, sweet pickle relish, paprika, and salt together.
- Place a piece of Swiss cheese on each slice of bread. Then spread about 1 tablespoon of dressing over each slice of bread. Add the corned beef to four of those slices of bread dividing evenly. Add the sauerkraut to the other four slices of bread dividing evenly. Carefully fold the corned beef sides to the sauerkraut sides to form 4 sandwiches.
- Spread soft butter over the top of each sandwich. Place the sandwich butter side down in a hot skillet over medium low heat. Spread butter over the side facing up. Cover the skillet loosely with aluminum foil. Cook until the bottom is golden brown then flip. Cover and cook until the other side is golden brown. The sandwich should be heated through and the cheese should be melted.
Keywords: how to make a reuben sandwich, corned beef sandwich, what is a reuben sandwich, corned beef reuben