The delicious Monte Cristo Sandwich is made with ham, turkey and Swiss Cheese between two slices of white bread that has been dipped in egg batter and fried up golden brown in a skillet. It is almost like eating a grilled cheese with all the goodies sandwiched between French Toast. This is a very hearty meal by itself but sometimes I like to serve it with a simple garden salad with a honey mustard vinaigrette, Chickpea Salad or Summer Fruit Salad.
This delicious and easy sandwich is a family favorite. They take just a few minutes to make and they are so yummy. For a fun and tasty tradition serve them with a dusting of powdered sugar and strawberry or raspberry jam for dipping. Pick a good hearty white bread that would hold up well being made into french toast. Although you don’t want it too thick as the whole sandwich is going to be dipped in the egg mixture and put into the frying pan.
How do you make a Monte Cristo Sandwich?
Start by whisking your eggs and milk together. Next spread a little mayo on one slice of bread and a little mustard on the other slice of bread. Now place one piece of Swiss Cheese on each side of the bread. Then layer one side with ham and turkey. Bring the pieces of the bread together to form a full sandwich. Use a cutting board to gently compress the sandwich a bit.
Now melt a little butter in a skillet over medium low heat. Dip the sandwich in the egg batter being sure to get both sides of the sandwich wet. Add the sandwich to the hot skillet and cook until golden brown on both sides. Cover the pan with a loose piece of aluminum foil to make sure the cheese melts and any egg mixture cooks through.
Helpful tips for making a Monte Cristo Sandwich
- Choose a good quality white bread that is not too thick nor too thin. For this sandwich I like to use Sara Lee Artesano Bakery Bread but any good quality white bread will suffice.
- I like to use thin cut deli ham and turkey. The Boars Head brand is excellent but any good quality meat will work just fine.
- If you don’t like Swiss Cheese replace with mozzarella, provolone, Muenster or Gruyere. As long as it melts well and you like the taste of it go for it.
- Inevitably some egg batter will get on the rest of the sandwich when dunking it so be sure to cover the skillet after a few minutes with a loose piece of aluminum foil. This will help to assure that any egg batter that clung to the meat or cheese cooks through.
- These sandwiches are best serve promptly. If making multiple sandwiches place the ones already made on an ovenproof plate and place in a warm oven while you finish cooking the others.
- This is a large filling sandwich so it could easily feed four people.
Cheeses you can use on a Monte Cristo Sandwich
Traditionally Swiss Cheese is used on a Monte Cristo Sandwich but not everyone likes the unique flavor of Swiss Cheese including my son. You can use any cheese that melts well and tastes good with ham and turkey.
- Pepper Jack
- Monterey Jack
This sandwich is delicious, dependable and incredibly easy. Put the ingredients on your shopping list today and make you and yours a fabulous recipe. They will be singing your praises!
More sandwiches you will love!
- Grilled Meatloaf Sandwich
- Italian Pressed Sandwich
- Steak Stuffed French Bread
- Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese
- Steak Sandwich
Monte Cristo Sandwich
The bread on this easy to make delectable ham, turkey and Swiss Cheese sandwich is dunked in an egg mixture and the whole thing is pan fried to golden perfection.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 2 sandwiches 1x
- Category: sandwich
- Method: stove-top
- Cuisine: American
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk (preferably whole or 2%)
- 4 slices bread
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 4 slices turkey
- 4 slices ham
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar (optional)
- 2 tablespoon strawberry jam (optional)
- In a wide bowl whisk your eggs and milk together.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise on 2 slices of bread and a 1 tablespoon mustard on the other 2 slices of bread. Now place one piece of Swiss Cheese on each slice of bread. Then layer each mayonnaise slice with 2 slices ham and 2 slices turkey. Bring the pieces of the bread together to form 2 full sandwiches. Using a cutting board gently compress the sandwich a bit.
- Now melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium low heat. Dip each sandwich in the egg mixture; turning to coat both sides. Add the sandwich to the hot skillet and cook until golden brown on both sides. Cover the pan with a loose piece of aluminum foil to make sure the cheese melts and any egg mixture cooks through.
- If desired sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve with a side of strawberry or raspberry jam.
Keywords: what is a monte cristo sandwich, how to make a monte cristo sandwich, what's in a monte cristo sandwich, best monte cristo sandwich