Southern Green Beans are slow cooked string beans combined with onion, garlic and crisp bacon. The end result is heavenly with scrumptious tender melt in your mouth green beans.
These are not to be confused with northern style green beans which are cooked crisp tender, sometimes with crispy bacon or with just a little bit of butter, garlic, salt and pepper.
My family adores these Southern Green Beans! Boy do I love some Southern cooking!! Southern cooking brings comfort like fluffy slippers to cold feet. Southern cooking is a cure all for whatever ails you and may be the best regional cooking ever!!! These Southern Green Beans are no exception to that rule. I could quite literally eat these with every meal perhaps even breakfast. If you have never tried these you MUST give them a whirl.
As with most good southern comfort food all you really need is a little time as they simmer for a an hour or so. Now isn’t that how the south rolls like a fine oiled machine!! Now these Southern Green Beans combine fresh green beans, smoked bacon, and onion into the most mouth watering side imaginable. Prep is a breeze and your family will be singing your praises.
How to cook fresh green beans southern style.
Folks it really does not get much easier than this. First It takes a little patience while they cook but I am sure you have other chores to attend to. Then simply brown your bacon, then add your onions and garlic. Remove these and set aside. Using the same pan add your trimmed green beans, chicken broth and seasoning. Simmer for at least one hour and drain chicken broth. Add bacon, onion and garlic to the green beans and heat over low for a couple of minutes.
How to season Southern Green Beans.
Seasoning can be very personal with people so here are some options for my whole spectrum of readers. For those of you who like a lot of flavor (myself included) add some Cajun seasoning. You can include anything from one half teaspoon to a full teaspoon. Readers with a more sensitive palate that want to tone it down can add a couple of pinches of crushed red pepper and about a half teaspoon fresh cracked pepper and salt. For those of you who really like it toned way down just one half teaspoon each of fresh cracked pepper and salt should be enough seasoning. Any combination of the above is good as well as most people know their seasoning tolerance.
What to serve with Southern Green Beans
Oh heavens. The possibilities are indeed endless.
- Fried chicken and mashed potatoes
- Oven baked beef brisket and mac n cheese
- Honey ham and baked beans
- Smoked sausage and cheesy grits
- Barbecued ribs and corn on the cob
- Fried catfish and okra
- Pork tenderloin and macaroni salad
These amazing Southern Green Beans are easy, dependable and delicious. What are you waiting for? These are a must try. Put the ingredients on your shopping list today!!
Other southern recipes you will love!!
- Quick Southern Pimento Cheese
- Old Fashioned Silky Creamy Custard Pie
- Tomato Pie
- Sweet Potato Pie
- Key Lime Pie
- Southern Collard Greens
This post was originally published November 16, 2016 and was republished October 24, 2018 with new content.Print
Easy Southern Style Green Beans
Now these easy Southern Green Beans combines fresh green beans, smoked bacon, and onion into the most mouth watering side imaginable.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 90 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 50 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Vegetable
- Method: Stove top
- Cuisine: Southern
- 4 slices bacon diced
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 lbs fresh green beans trimmed
- 2 1/2 – 3-1/2 cups chicken broth
- Optional 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning (please see notes)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In large saucepan over medium heat cook bacon until almost completely brown. Add onion and cook for additional 5 minutes. Turn heat to low and add garlic; cook for 30 seconds. Remove bacon/onion mixture to a bowl. Do not wash saucepan.
- Add green beans and enough chicken broth to just cover the green beans. Add Cajun seasoning.
- Bring to a low boil. Cover and reduce to simmer. Simmer for 1 – 1 1/2 hours stirring occasionally. Drain chicken broth, return bacon/onion mixture and heat for 1-2 minutes. Add butter, stir and serve.
Readers with a more sensitive palate that want to tone it down can add a couple of pinches of crushed red pepper and about a half teaspoon fresh cracked pepper and salt. For those of you who really like it toned way down just one half teaspoon each of fresh cracked pepper and salt should be enough seasoning. Any combination of the above is good as well as most people know their seasoning tolerance.
Keywords: southern green beans, southern style green beans, green beans, southern side, vegetable, side, slow cooked southern beans