Lemon Pepper Chicken is an easy weeknight meal that comes together quickly in one skillet. It combines lemon pepper breaded chicken and asparagus in a light lemon sauce made with a splash of real lemon juice and honey. Serve with Lemon Rice or by itself for a low carb meal.
One thing for sure life is busy! There are just not enough hours in a day to get everything done. Believe me I know! We have a brand new puppy and I am losing my mind trying to keep up. It seems like I just sit down to work on a post and the puppy is chewing on my shoe laces, next thing I know it is time to take him to the yard to take care of business. Then I am back in the house to wash my hands, sit down start to type and whole cycle starts again. That is where this Lemon Pepper Chicken comes in handy. This delicious meal can be prepared in about twenty minutes and requires only one skillet and one ovenproof plate.
What is Lemon Pepper?
Lemon Pepper is a seasoning made from granulated or dried lemon zest. The lemon zest is combined with fresh cracked black pepper and sometimes with spices. The oils from the lemon zest are infused into the spices and then baked and dried. Lemon Pepper is delicious on fish, chicken, pasta and fresh grilled vegetables.
How do you make Lemon Pepper Chicken?
In large skillet heat a tablespoon or so of olive oil and cook asparagus for just a few minutes or just until it is crisp tender. Remove from the pan and set aside.
In shallow wide bowl combine flour, lemon pepper, onion powder and salt. Dredge the chicken breasts into the flour mixture. Melt butter and heat olive oil over medium low heat. Add the breaded chicken breasts and cook until golden brown. Then remove the chicken, place on ovenproof plate and put in the oven uncovered on warm while you finish the rest of the dish.
If there is not a couple of tablespoons of fat left in the skillet add equal amounts butter and olive oil to make up the difference and melt it over medium low heat. Add the garlic and cook for a minute whisking frequently. Whisk in a couple of tablespoons of the leftover flour mixture. If there is not enough flour mixture left add enough flour and lemon pepper to make up the difference. Use a ratio of two parts flour to one part lemon pepper. Continue whisking for several minutes. Slowly add the chicken broth and the lemon juice whisking continuously. Whisk in the honey and add the chicken and asparagus back to the skillet. Simmer for a couple of minutes to warm the chicken and asparagus. If desired garnish with fresh lemon slices.
What do you serve with Lemon Pepper Chicken?
- Rice or Angel Hair Pasta
- Simple Garden Salad
- French Baguette
- Baked, Mashed or Roasted Potatoes
- French Onion Soup
- By Itself for a Low Carb Meal
Helpful hints to make this Lemon Pepper Chicken amazing!
- Use good quality Lemon Pepper preferably from a spice shop if at all possible.
- Chicken breasts these days are so big and thick. Cut them in half lengthwise as it works out best for this recipe and it is still a good healthy serving of protein.
- Cook the chicken over medium low heat swaying more towards the medium however you want to cook the chicken golden brown without blackening the breading.
- Use low sodium chicken broth so the other flavors of the recipe will shine through.
- Add fresh lemon juice for maximum flavor and limited preservatives.
This delectable Lemon Pepper Chicken is easy, quick and healthy. Put the ingredients on your shopping list today! You and your loved ones can enjoy a simple wholesome meal.
More easy chicken recipes you will love!
- Caprese Chicken
- Creamy Chicken Mushroom Pasta
- Healthy and Fresh Chicken Chili
- Chicken Breasts with Mushroom Cream Sauce Recipe
Lemon Pepper Chicken
Lemon Pepper Chicken is an easy weeknight meal that come together quickly in one skillet. It combines lemon pepper breaded chicken and asparagus in a light lemon made with a splash of real lemon juice and honey.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 15
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: chicken
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: American
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb asparagus trimmed and cut in 2 inch lengths
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 1/2 tablespoons lemon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 large chicken breasts cut in half lengthwise
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- Lemon slices
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to skillet over medium high heat and cook asparagus for 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and plate.
- In shallow wide bowl combine flour, lemon pepper, onion powder and salt. Dredge the chicken breasts into the flour mixture. Melt 2 tablespoons butter and heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium low heat. Add the breaded chicken breasts and cook until golden brown. Remove chicken, place on ovenproof plate and put in oven uncovered on warm.
- Add enough equal parts butter and olive oil to fat already in skillet to give you to two tablespoons of fat. Melt the fat over low heat and cook the garlic until it is fragrant: approximately 1 minute. Sprinkle in remaining flour mixture (please see notes). Cook over low heat for 3-4 minutes stirring continuously. Slowly whisk in lemon juice, chicken broth and honey.
- Return chicken and asparagus to skillet and simmer for 2-3 minutes Serve immediately.
If there is not enough flour mixture left add enough flour and lemon pepper to make up the difference. Use a ratio of two parts flour to one part lemon pepper.
Keywords: chicken, pepper chicken, lemon chicken, lemon pepper recipe