Seven ingredient buttery lemon cookies that melt in your mouth. Have you tried my gooey butter cake? This is the cookie version with a lemon twist. It is so difficult to stop eating these! These Lemon Gooey Butter Cookies are easy, delicious and consistently great.
This recipe has been pinned and commented on so many times that I thought I might add some reader recommendations. The consensus is a little more lemon juice and a little lemon zest so I am going to modify the recipe to reflect this!!! These cookies freeze well. Just remember to double wrap them in freezer bags and place them in a sturdy freezer container. When defrosting remove them from all wrapping and let defrost uncovered.
The perfect cookie for that holiday party! Your company will love them.
Lemon Gooey Butter Cookies
- 1 stick of butter room temperature
- 1 eight ounce box of cream cheese room temperature
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 box lemon cake mix (I use Duncan Hines lemon supreme)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Cream butter and cream cheese with mixer. Add egg, lemon juice and lemon zest; mix until combined on low. Add the lemon cake mix in three parts mixing until combined after each part.
- Refrigerate dough for 2 hours.
- Roll into 1 inch balls and roll through the powdered sugar. Place on cookie sheets covered with parchment paper.
- Bake 10-12 minutes at 350 degrees. Cool for two minutes and remove to cookie cooling racks. When fully cool dust with more powdered sugar.