These easy Lemon Gooey Butter Cookies are seven ingredient cookies that just melt in your mouth. With the ease of a lemon cake mix these cookies come together quickly and easily. So if you and yours are lemon lovers than this is a must try.
Have you tried my gooey butter cake? This is the cookie version with a lemon twist. It is so difficult to stop eating these! These Lemon Gooey Butter Cookies are easy, delicious and consistently great. These cookies are absolutely delicious warm with a hot cup of tea. These are the perfect cookie for that holiday party! Your company will love them.
How do you make Lemon Gooey Butter Cookies?
First you are going to cream the butter and the cream cheese until it is smooth and cream without any lumps. Turn your mixer to low and add the egg, lemon juice and lemon zest and mix just until combined. Now add the cake mix in three parts mixing just until combined after each part.
Roll the dough into a little over one inch balls and roll through the powdered sugar. Place on parchment covered baking sheets or silicone mats. Bake for a little over ten minutes or until lightly browned. Cool for two minutes on the baking and then remove to cookie cooling racks. When cool enough to handle roll one more time through the powdered sugar.
These cookies freeze well. Let them fully cool before freezing and double wrap them in freezer bags and place them in a sturdy freezer container. When defrosting remove them from all the wrapping and let them defrost uncovered in a single stack on a platter or cutting board. Once defrosted store in covered airtight containers.
Helpful tips for making Lemon Gooey Butter Cookies
- Use fresh lemon juice and lemon zest. It really does make a difference in the taste of the cookies.
- Soften your butter so it is easier to blend.
- Blend your butter and cream cheese until is smooth, creamy and free of lumps.
- For optimum results refrigerate the dough for 2 hours.
- Always preheat your oven and load the cookies on the middle rack in the center of the oven.
- For best results bake on parchment paper or silicone mats.
- Do not over-bake these cookies. They are done when they are lightly browned.
- If you have time do a test run with one or two cookies. It really helps to establish baking time.
Other cookie recipes you will love!
- Buttery Pecan Snowball Cookies
- Small Batch Almond Joy Cookies
- Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
- Peanut Butter Blossom Cookies
- Oatmeal Cranberry White Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe
This post was published November 22, 2014 and was republished October 13, 2019 with new content.Print
Lemon Gooey Butter Cookies
An easy gooey lemon cake box cookie with just seven ingredients. Make a whole batch of cookies in less than 30 minutes.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 24 cookies 1x
- Category: dessert cookies
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
- 1/2 cup butter softened (1 stick)
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 box lemon cake mix (I use Duncan Hines lemon supreme)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Cream butter and cream cheese with mixer until smooth and creamy. Add egg, lemon juice and lemon zest; mix until combined on low. Add the lemon cake mix in three parts mixing just until combined after each part.
- Refrigerate dough for 2 hours.
- Roll into 1 inch balls and roll through the powdered sugar. Place on cookie sheets covered with parchment paper.
- Bake 10-12 minutes at 350 degrees. Cool for 2 minutes then remove to cookie cooling racks. When fully cool dust with more powdered sugar.
Keywords: cookies, cream cheese cookies, gooey butter cookies, gooey butter cookie recipe, quick cookies, lemon cookies, Christmas cookies, cake mix cookies, gooey butter cookies with cake mix