Delicious and simple fresh Pico de Gallo, also known as salsa fresca and salsa cruda, takes just minutes to prepare and makes all your Mexican and Tex-Mex dishes taste sun kissed fresh. With garden fresh vegetables and a sharp knife this easy recipe comes together in just minutes. Use it to top salads, burritos, tacos, eggs, guacamole, and quesadillas. The possibilities are endless! It adds so much flavor and depth to Mexican dishes or simply serve it as a dip with homemade tortilla chips!!
If your family is anything like mine than Mexican or Tex-Mex recipes are always a hit. Beef Enchilada Casserole, Mexican Pizzas, and Mexican Stuffed Peppers are just a few of our favorites.
How to make Pico de Gallo
Start by mincing your onion and garlic. Then chop the cilantro fairly fine discarding the stems. See below for tips on chopping cilantro. Then combine the onion, garlic, cilantro, salt, black pepper, and lime juice in a bowl. Stir to combine and let sit while you chop the jalapeno and tomatoes. Now add them to the other ingredients and stir to combine. Let sit for 30 minutes. Store in an airtight container in the fridge until ready to serve.
Recipe notes and helpful tips
- Use the freshest ingredients that you can get your hands on. All the more power to you if you grow fresh tomatoes, jalapenos and cilantro.
- A good sharp knife is an absolute must for finely dicing the tomatoes without crushing them. All the ingredients should be chopped finely.
- For those that want a little more kick try serrano peppers in place of the jalapeno peppers.
- Let the Pico rest for about 30 minutes to let all the flavors meld together.
- Serve with a slotted spoon as the tomatoes put off a lot of moisture and you don’t want your chips or chimichanga to be soggy.
- Use beefy tomatoes like Roma or beefsteak. In the off season cherry and grape tomatoes work well.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
How to chop cilantro
Start by grabbing a large bunch of cilantro by the stems. Then rinse it and shake the moisture out. Now cut about 3/4 to 1 inch above the stems and discard that. Next using a sharp chefs knife simply chop as finely as needed for your recipe.
Uses for Pico de Gallo
- Chile Relleno Casserole
- Easy Chicken Tostadas
More Tex-Mex toppings and salsa recipes to try!
Best Pico de Gallo Recipe
This easy and simple Pico de Gallo recipe comes together in less than ten minutes and adds oodles of flavor to all your Mexican and Tex-Mex recipes.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 2 1/2 cups
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Chopped
- Cuisine: Mexican
- ½ cup finely minced white onion or red onion
- 2 cloves garlic finely minced
- ¼ cup finely chopped cilantro
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 small jalapeño minced
- 2 large beefy tomatoes finely chopped (or 4 Roma tomatoes or plum tomatoes)
- Combine the onion, garlic, cilantro, salt, black pepper, and lime juice in a bowl. Stir to combine and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Gently stir in the the jalapeno and tomatoes. Let sit for 30 minutes. Store in an airtight container in the fridge until ready to serve.
Keywords: how to make pico de gallo, what is pico de gallo, homemade pico de gallo
On the hunt for more delicious recipes? Follow Small Town Woman on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram.https://www.smalltownwoman.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Beth-1.pdf
This was so yummy! It tasted delicious alone with chips, and when we ate it with our tacos—pinning and saving this one for continual use!
So fresh and delicious! This didn’t last long!
So fresh & delicious! Taco Tuesday is getting an upgrade! Love how easy this is! I can’t really eat a lot of white onion so I used green onion instead and the flavors were still so good! Fresh & delicious for sure!
This is my absolute favorite pico de gallo recipe! We use it often and everyone always loves it!
This is absolutely a restaurant-quality pico de gallo. It has the perfect texture and seasoning, so addictive!
This pico de gallo is perfect for everything from dipping in chips to adding it to tacos and burritos. So much flavor!
The perfect addition to my Mexican food night! Thanks!
Simple, delicious and colorful! Looks like a perfect summer appetizer.
This is the second time preparing this recipe and it tastes better each time! So delicious 🙂
I can’t wait to try this delicious-looking condiment we always order extra!
Fresh and from scratch is always best. Great tips for making perfect pico here!
I love this simple pico recipe! So delicious and a perfect use for summer tomatoes.
This tasted wonderful with our veggie burgers this evening. Even my son enjoyed the fresh tastes. Thanks!
So delicious and refreshing…everybody loved it. Thanks for the recipe.
This looks so fresh and satisfying! I want some!
Love pico de gallo! Will have to try this recipe this weekend, and thanks for the tip on letting it rest for 30 minutes 🙂
Oh yum! Such a light and refreshing Pico de Gallo! I love all that flavor and how easily it comes together. Definitely the perfect use for summer tomatoes.
Beti | easyweeknightrecipes
I could eat this with everything! SO GOOD!
katerina @ diethood.com
I love how fresh and delicious this is! LOVE it!
Allyson Reed Zea
I love eating this on pretty much everything! So tasty and fresh!
Perfect pico de gallo! We put it on burrito bowls and it was delicious.
This never lasts long in our house! I put it on everything, it’s just so good!
Erin | Dinners,Dishes and Dessert
Love how comforting this Pico de Gallo is!
So tasty, quick, and easy! Love this pico de gallo recipe, It Will definitely be a regular in our kitchen!
I love it!! So refreshing and it’s really easy to make! Thanks for the recipe!
So fresh & tasty! And I love how easy this is! Going to be making this to take to potlucks & cookouts this summer!
LOVE this fresh pico de gallo recipe! So fresh and EASY to make!