This super easy to make Chile Relleno Casserole is loaded with green chiles, Monterey Jack cheese and cheddar cheese in a puffy egg base. For even more flavor top with pico de gallo, sour cream, cilantro or avocado. For a complete meal like Sunday Brunch I love to serve this dish with cornbread and Fruit Salad.
Does your family like egg dishes? My husband just goes crazy over them. He would eat the whole casserole if he thought he could get away with it. This dish, Fried Egg Sandwich, Classic Denver Omelette and Egg Foo Young are just a few of his favorites. This dish is so easy to prep making it doable for a weekday breakfast or lunch. By golly we have even had this for dinner because it is so yummy.
How to make Chile Relleno Casserole
First grab a casserole dish and spray it with a little nonstick cooking spray. I used a little olive oil spritz. Then cut open about half of the green chiles and lay them on the bottom of the casserole dish. Now top with half of the shredded Monterey Jack cheese and cheddar cheese. Then add the rest of the green chiles and top with remaining Monterey Jack and cheddar cheese.
Next beat together the eggs, flour, milk, baking powder, salt and pepper. Pour over the top of the chiles and cheese. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until lightly browned on the edges and set in the middle. Top with Pico de Gallo, salsa, sour cream or avocado. Let stand for about 10 minutes before slicing.
Tips and recipe notes for Chile Relleno Casserole
- Canned green chiles can be found in the Latino section of your local grocery store.
- For best results buy good quality blocks of cheese and shred it yourself to avoid anti caking agents.
- Are you feeding any army? Add 1 pound cooked ground beef, ground chorizo or ground pork sausage to the casserole with the two layers of cheese and green chilis.
- Top with your family favorites like Pico de Gallo, sour cream, salsa, minced jalapeno or chopped avocados.
- Leftovers heat up in the microwave very well at a reduced power.
Chile Relleno Casserole
This incredibly simple Chile Relleno Casserole brings green chiles and loads of melted cheese together in a bed of puffy eggs. Enjoy it for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Leftovers heat up like a dream in the microwave at a reduced power.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: breakfast
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
- 3 cans (7 ounces) whole fire roasted chiles
- 2 1/2 cups Monterey Jack cheese shredded
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 6 large eggs
- 1 3/4 cups milk (2% or whole)
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Pico de Gallo (optional)
- chopped cilantro (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 x 13 inch dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cut chiles open by slicing from top to bottom. Layer half of the cut chiles in the bottom of prepared casserole dish. Layer with half the Monterey Jack and cheddar cheese. Layer with the second half of the cut chiles and the remaining cheese.
- Whisk together eggs, milk, flour, baking powder, salt and black pepper. Pour egg mixture over cheese and green chiles. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until lightly browned on the edges and set in the middle.
- Cool 7-10 minutes before slicing. Top with Pico de Gallo, chopped cilantro and sour cream.
Keywords: easy chili relleno casserole, green chile relleno casserole, how do you make chile relleno casserole