Barbacoa Tacos are filled with tender chuck roast that has been slow cooked in a spicy flavor packed sauce that comes together quickly in a food processor. This traditional Mexican recipe is one of my favorites. Spoon on to corn or flour tortillas and top with vegetables to suit your taste. For a complete meal serve with Fresh Black Bean and Corn Salad (Relish) and Spanish Rice Recipe.
There is just something wonderful about having the main part of your meal ready to go at the end of the working day. Not to mention the amazing aroma of slow cooked beef simmering with garlic, peppers, cumin, oregano and lime filling every room of your house. These Barbacoa Tacos are one of my families favorite meals. Leftovers heat up wonderfully and can be used in more tacos, burritos, quesadillas, nachos and chimichangas.
How do you make Barbacoa Tacos?
First brown the chuck roast in a little bit of vegetable oil preferably in a cast iron skillet. When browned on both sides place in a large slow cooker. Add garlic, chipotle peppers, cumin, onion powder, oregano, cloves, salt, pepper, vinegar, beef broth and lime juice to a food processor. Pulse several times to blend and pour over the chuck roast in the slow cooker. Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for about eight hours
Using a couple of forks shred the pot roast right in the slow cooker removing any fat or gristle. Spoon the meat into soft taco shells and top with lettuce, tomato, red onion and avocado. Serve promptly so the meat is warm and juicy and so the taco shells do not get soggy.
Helpful tips for making Barbacoa Tacos
- You do not have to brown the chuck roast before placing in the crock pot however I think it is worth the effort. The caramelized surface of the meat adds great flavor to the barbacoa recipe.
- If you do not have a food processor use a blender but mince the garlic and chipotle peppers first.
- Cook the roast whole and then shred removing unwanted fat and gristle.
- If you like things spicy add four chipotle peppers. If you like things less spicy add two chipotle peppers.
- You can cook on high for about six hours or until fork tender. I actually prefer it cooked on low as it seems a tad more tender and more flavorful.
- Customize your choice of toppings and suit to your own taste.
Topping suggestions for Barbacoa Tacos
- Crisp lettuce
- Thin sliced red onions
- Halved grape tomatoes
- Avocado slices
- Cheddar cheese
- Sour cream
- Black olives
- Roasted Corn
- Pico de Gallo
What are chipotle peppers and where do I find them?
Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce are dried smoked jalapenos packed in a slightly sweet spicy red sauce. Both the peppers and the sauce pick up flavors and aromas from each other creating a cooks flavor haven. The peppers and sauce can be used in salad dressings, meat marinades, tacos, nachos, burritos, sauces, dips and soups.
Chipotle peppers packed in adobo sauce are in the Mexican food section of most grocery stores. They come in a small can. You only need a few of them but you can freeze the rest for future recipes. Freeze flat in a freezer bag then you can break off a piece when you need it.
More taco recipes you will love!Print
Barbacoa Tacos are filled with tender chuck roast that has been slow cooked in a spicy flavor packed sauce that comes together quickly in a food processor.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 hours
- Total Time: 8 hours 15 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: main meal beef
- Method: slow cooker
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 3–4 lb beef chuck roast
- 2 tablespoon canola or vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2–4 chipotle peppers
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup low sodium beef broth
- 1 lime juiced (about 2 tablespoons)
- Flour or corn tortillas
- Chopped romaine lettuce
- Grape tomatoes halved
- Red onions thinly sliced
- Avocado slices
- Heat vegetable oil in large skillet over medium heat. Brown chuck roast on both sides; place in large slow cooker.
- Add garlic, chipotle peppers, cumin, onion powder, oregano, cloves, salt, pepper, vinegar, beef broth and lime juice to food processor. Pulse several times to blend and pour over chuck roast.
- Cover the slow cooker; cook on low for 8 hours or high for 5-6 or until fork tender.
- Using a couple of forks shred chuck roast right in slow cooker removing any fat or gristle. Spoon meat into soft taco shells and top with lettuce, tomato, red onion and avocado. Serve promptly.
Keywords: barbacoa beef, crock pot barbaco beef, crock pot barbacoa beef tacos, Mexican tacos, slow cooker barbacoa beef, slow cooker barbacoa beef tacos, tacos, traditional Mexican beef