Southern Fried Cabbage is a simple six ingredient recipe that brings cabbage, onions and bacon together in perfect harmony. It is the perfect side dish for roasted chicken, grilled steak, fried fish and even Ham Steak. If you have never tried this easy dish than you are in for one heck of a nice surprise.
Do you like cabbage? My family and I just love cabbage. In fact we are one crazy cabbage loving family. It is just so nutritious, versatile, delicious and quite economical. Have you tried any of my other cabbage recipes? Cabbage Roll Soup, Corned Beef and Cabbage, Irish Colcannon and this recipe are just a few of our favorites. If you love cabbage just go to my homepage and type cabbage in the search bar and lots of scrumptious recipes will be at your disposal.
How to make fried cabbage
Start by browning your bacon. You can do this either in the skillet or in the oven. Do whatever is easier for you but make sure you reserve the bacon grease. Next chop the browned bacon. Then melt a little butter in a large skillet over medium low heat and add the reserved bacon grease. Add the onion and cook until tender. Now add the bacon to the skillet and stir to combine with butter and onions. Next add the cabbage and cook until tender stirring several times to make sure it does not burn and that it cooks evenly. Season to taste with salt, pepper and if desired a little Cajun seasoning.
Helpful tips for making Fried Cabbage
- If available use nitrate free smoked bacon. It is healthier and really does taste better.
- Reserve the bacon grease and add it to the skillet with the butter.
- Slice your cabbage thin so it cooks evenly and soaks up all that good butter and bacon grease.
- Are you in a super big hurry and you have to get supper on the table? No problem chop the raw bacon and place it in the skillet over medium heat. Cook it for 2-3 minutes stirring several times then reduce the heat to medium low. Then add the butter and onions and cook as directed. The bacon will not be as crispy but it will still be delicious.
- This dish is best served promptly. If held in the skillet too long the cabbage will overcook.
- We like our cabbage with just a tiny little bit of crunch and structure left.
- For a little spice and pizzazz add 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon Cajun Seasoning and a pinch of cayenne.
- Add a little sweetness with 2 pinches of brown sugar.
- Make it a full meal with thin slices of Polska Kielbasa or all natural chicken sausage.
- For more color and nutrition chop some red, orange or yellow bell pepper and add at the same time as the chopped onion.
- To reduce the saturated fat use turkey bacon. Omit the butter and bacon grease. Cook the onion and cabbage in 2 tablespoons olive oil.
Southern Fried Cabbage
A simple yet scrumptious dish of pan fried cabbage, onions and bacon. It is lightly seasoned and quick to come together making it a true family favorite.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: side dish
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: Southern
- 6 slices smoked bacon
- 2 tablespoons butter (salted or unsalted)
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 head green cabbage cored and thinly sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 –1/2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning (optional)
- In a large skillet over medium heat brown the bacon (alternately you can do this in the stove on a baking sheet). Reserve the bacon grease. Coarsely chop the bacon.
- Melt butter and heat bacon grease in skillet over medium low heat. Add the onion and cook until tender; about 3-4 minutes. Add the chopped bacon to the skillet and stir to combine with butter and onions. Add the cabbage and cook until tender stirring several times to make sure it does not burn and that it cooks evenly; approximately 5-7 minutes. Season to taste with salt, pepper and if desired Cajun seasoning.
- Alternately you can chop the raw bacon and place it in the skillet over medium heat. Cook it for 2-3 minutes stirring several times then reduce the heat to medium low. Then add the butter and onions and cook as directed. The bacon will not be as crispy but it will still be delicious.
Keywords: fried cabbage with bacon, how to fry cabbage, how to make fried cabbage, southern fried cabbage