Boy the years are just flying by. It seems like we just had St. Patrick’s Day. I grew up believing that we were Irish. Quite Irish as my later Mother would tell me. She would tell me that her late late late ancestors were Irish and that we should celebrate St. Patrick’s Day with gusto. Well I found out from a cousin of mine that we did not have Irish ancestors that they were Dutch or Scandinavian or something. To tell you the truth I only half listened to my cousin as I was chuckling in my head at Mom’s insistence on our Irish heritage. I could not tell my Mom what I had learned because she is on the other side. My Mom would make Easy Traditional Corned Beef and Cabbage every St. Patrick’s Day. She loved it so much and it is such an easy recipe that you too can take part in the Irish custom.
This delicious Easy Traditional Corned Beef and Cabbage does not require any special equipment or expertise. The corned beef is slow cooked with pickling spice. The carrots, potatoes and cabbage are added at different intervals so everything is done and tasty at the same time!! The corned beef is tender and the cabbage is cooked just perfectly with just a tiny bit of crisp left.
Do you like cabbage? My family and I just love it. Cabbage is low in calories but high in vitamins, minerals and fiber. Easy Cabbage Roll Skillet, Sweet Mustard Potatoes Cabbage and Brats and Cabbage Bacon Sausage Stir Fry are just a few family, friend and reader favorites. This delicious Creamy Sausage & Cabbage Soup from Spend with Pennies is a fellow blogger family favorite.
So if you think you are Irish, or maybe you really are Irish (sorry Mom), or maybe you just love corned beef and cabbage then print out the recipe for this Easy Traditional Corned Beef and Cabbage. St. Patrick’s Day will have come and gone before you blink your eyes.
Easy Traditional Corned Beef and Cabbage
- 3 pounds corned beef brisket with spice packet
- 2 tablespoons pickling spice
- 1 onion quartered
- 5 medium red potatoes halved
- 4 large carrots peeled and chunked
- 1 head of green cabbage cut in wedges
- In dutch oven or large stockpot add corned beef and cover with water. Add spice packet, pickling spice and onion. Cover and simmer for 2-2 1/2 hours. The brisket should be fork tender.
- Add potatoes and carrots; cover and simmer for 30 minutes longer. Add cabbage; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove corned beef and veggies from the pot avoiding the pickling spice. Remove any fat from the corned beef and slice against the grain.
Do not let the brisket boil. This will make it tough. Slow simmer is the key.
Other cabbage recipes you will love!!