This Traditional Corned Beef and Cabbage cooks everything low and slow (just like it should be) with the perfect spices in a dutch oven or large stock pot. This delicious Easy Traditional Corned Beef and Cabbage does not require any special equipment or expertise. The corned beef is slow cooked with pickling spices. The carrots, potatoes and cabbage are added at different intervals so everything is done and tasty at the same time!! The corned beef is tender and the cabbage is cooked just perfectly with just a tiny bit of crisp left.
Boy the years are just flying by. It seems like we just had St. Patrick’s Day. I grew up believing that we were Irish. Quite Irish as my later Mother would tell me. She would tell me that her late late late ancestors were Irish and that we should celebrate St. Patrick’s Day with gusto. Well I found out from a cousin of mine that we did not have Irish ancestors at all. They were Dutch or Scandinavian or something. To tell you the truth I only half listened to my cousin as I was chuckling in my head at Mom’s insistence on our Irish heritage.
My Mom would make this Easy Traditional Corned Beef and Cabbage every St. Patrick’s Day. She loved it so much and it is such an easy recipe that you too can take part in the Irish custom. She loved it so much that she would even make a batch for one of the Irish priests at our church.
How do you make corned beef and cabbage?
First in a large dutch oven or stockpot add the corned beef and cover with cool water. Now add the bay leaves, spice packet and onions. Then add the pickling spice to a spice infuser and drop in the pot with the corned beef and water. Cover the pot and simmer for 2-2 1/2 hours or until the brisket is fork tender.
Add the potatoes and carrots and simmer covered for about 30 minutes. Now add the cabbage wedges and simmer covered for an additional 15 minutes. Remove vegetables, cover and keep warm. Fish out and discard the bay leaves. Finally trim away any excess fat from the corned beef and slice against the grain. Serve promptly with horseradish sauce or Honey Mustard Sauce.
Helpful tips for making Corned Beef and Cabbage
- Buy good quality corned beef after all it is going to be the star of the show.
- Leave the fat on the corned beef when simmering as it helps cook it really tender and gives it lots of flavor.
- Don’t skip the pickling spice. Just place it in a spice ball infuser and hook it to the side of the pot so it simmers in the water with the beef and vegetables.
- The key is too simmer not boil the beef and vegetables. Low and slow as my late mother used to say.
- For aesthetic purposes peel your carrots as you will really appreciate the bright orange color.
- Red Potatoes are traditional and they are waxy enough to stay together through the simmering. Other types of potatoes will begin to break down during the cooking process.
- Don’t forget to fish out and discard the bay leaves. They are sharp on the edges and could cut your mouth or pose a choking hazard.
- Once cooked trim the fat from the beef. I like to leave just a very small portion of fat on for more flavor but my husband likes it completely trimmed. As my mom always said “Different strokes for different folks.”
- Slice the corned beef against the grain as this produces the most tender bites.
So if you think you are Irish, or maybe you really are Irish (sorry Mom), or maybe you just love corned beef and cabbage then pick up the ingredients for this Easy Traditional Corned Beef and Cabbage. St. Patrick’s Day will have come and gone before you blink your eyes.
Other cabbage recipes you will love!
- Sweet Mustard Brats and Cabbage
- Easy Low Carb Egg Roll in a Bowl
- Cabbage Roll Casserole
- Savory Cabbage Roll Soup
- Kapusta (Polish Cabbage Soup)
This post was originally published March 12, 2018 and was republished January 5, 2020 with new content.Print
Traditional Corned Beef and Cabbage
This family loved traditional corned beef recipe has all the customary trimmings and is cooked in one easy pot on the stove top.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 180 minutes
- Total Time: 3 hours 10 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: main meal beef
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: Irish
- 3 pounds corned beef brisket with spice packet
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 onion quartered
- 2 tablespoons pickling spice
- 4 medium red potatoes halved
- 4 large carrots peeled and chunked
- 1 head green cabbage cut in wedges
- In dutch oven or large stockpot add corned beef and cover with water. Add spice packet, bay leaves and onions. Add pickling spice to spice ball infuser and drop in pot with corned and water. Cover and simmer for 2-2 1/2 hours. The brisket should be fork tender.
- Add potatoes and carrots; cover and simmer for additional 30 minutes. Add cabbage; cover and simmer for 15 additional minutes.
- Fish out bay leaves and discard. Remove corned beef and vegetables from pot and cover to keep warm. Remove any fat from the corned beef and slice against the grain.
Do not let the brisket boil. This will make it tough. Slow simmer is the key.
Keywords: corned beef cabbage, how to make corned beef and cabbage. easy corned beef and cabbage, best corned beef and cabbage