Cabbage Roll Casserole is an easy family favorite. It combines all the delicious flavors of stuffed cabbage rolls with much less time and effort. This delectable casserole makes eight healthy servings, and the leftovers heat up perfectly in the microwave.
Well, the New Year is here, and with it comes lots of chores to do. The Christmas tree needs to be taken down and all the treasured ornaments put away until next year. All the Christmas decorations need to be put back in their storage boxes and loaded on their reserved shelves in the basement. The outdoor lights need to be unhooked and wrapped back up in their appropriate boxes. Supper will be here before you know it. This Cabbage Roll Casserole is quick to come together and tastes just as good or better as the cabbage rolls your Grandma used to make. Just think of it as an unstuffed cabbage roll casserole. It is delicious, totally homemade, and does not contain cream of anything soup.
How do you make Cabbage Roll Casserole?
Start by browning the ground beef in a large pan or skillet over medium heat. When it is about halfway browned, add the onion and cook until the beef is fully browned. Turn the heat to low and toss in the garlic at the last minute of cooking. Drain any excess fat from the skillet. Stir in the paprika, onion powder, cayenne, brown sugar, tomato sauce, beef broth, and rice. Bring the mixture to a low boil and then turn it to a simmer and cover it with a lid. Simmer until the rice is tender. Season with salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste.
In a separate large skillet, add a little olive oil. Add half of the chopped cabbage and cooked until it starts to get tender. Add the cooked cabbage to a casserole dish that has been sprayed with a little nonstick cooking spray. Spread half of the beef mixture on top of the cabbage and top with half of the cheddar and Monterey Jack Cheese. Cook the second half of the cabbage the exact same way and add it to the casserole dish. Top with the remaining cheese and bake covered for about twenty minutes, then remove the foil and continue cooking until the cheese is lightly browned.
Can Cabbage Roll Casserole be prepared in a skillet?
Of course, with a couple of easy steps, you can have this all prepared in the same skillet that you cooked the cabbage in. You could do it either on the stovetop or in an ovenproof skillet.
Stove Top Cabbage Roll Casserole Method
After you finish cooking the cabbage, layer cabbage, cooked beef mixture, cheese, cabbage, cooked beef mixture, and cheese in the skillet. Turn the heat to a low simmer and cover with a lid or foil. Cook until the cabbage is tender and the cheese is melted.
Ovenproof Skillet Cabbage Roll Casserole Method
Make sure that your skillet is ovenproof, and layer the cooked cabbage, cooked beef mixture, and cheese. Repeat the layers ending with the remaining cheese. Cover with foil and bake for twenty minutes. Remove the foil and continue baking until the cheese is lightly browned and melted.
I have lots of readers who like their recipes with a little bit of kick and extra spice. If you are one of them, this section is for you! Pick one or two of these to add some pizzazz to the casserole! Of course, if you were born with a Habanero Pepper in your mouth, go for it.
- 1-2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning added at the same time as the other spices.
- 1-2 pinches of crushed red pepper added to the tomato sauce and beef broth
- A (14.5-ounce) can of fire-roasted tomatoes added at the same time as the tomato sauce
- Use Pepper Jack Cheese or mozzarella cheese in place of the Monterey Jack
- Minced jalapeno added at the same time as the minced garlic
This delectable Cabbage Roll Casserole is family-friendly, easy, quick, and adaptable to your individual taste buds. Put the ingredients on your shopping list today and make this wholesome casserole for your family.
Other casseroles you will love!
Cabbage Roll Casserole
This easy low-carb keto-friendly casserole brings all the delicious flavors of cabbage rolls together with a lot less time and effort.
- Prep Time: 25
- Cook Time: 40
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 8
- Category: main meal casserole
- Method: stove top and bake
- Cuisine: American
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can low sodium beef broth
- 1 cup long grain white rice (uncooked)
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium head green cabbage chopped
- 1 1/2 cups finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups finely shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 9×13 inch casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray or olive oil spray.
- Brown ground beef. When the ground beef is about halfway browned, add the onion; cook until the beef is fully browned. Reduce the heat to low. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute, stirring continuously. Drain any excess fat from the skillet.
- Add paprika, onion powder, cayenne, brown sugar, tomato sauce, beef broth, and rice. Bring the mixture to a low boil. Turn to a simmer and cover with a lid. Simmer for 20 minutes until rice is tender. Season with salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add 1/2 of the chopped cabbage and cook until slightly tender; 5-7 minutes. Spread cabbage over the bottom of the casserole dish. Top with 1/2 of the ground beef mixture. Sprinkle with 1/2 of the cheeses, blending them. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the other 1/2 of the chopped cabbage and cook until slightly tender, 5-7 minutes. Spread the cabbage over the cheese in the casserole dish. Top with the other 1/2 of the beef mixture and then with the remaining cheese.
- Cover the casserole with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 20 minutes or until the cheese is lightly browned.
- Substitute ground turkey, ground chicken, or ground pork for the ground beef.
- Add fresh herbs like thyme, rosemary, parsley, or dill.
Keywords: cabbage casserole, casserole, cabbage rolls, deconstructed cabbage rolls