This Sweet Mustard Brats and Cabbage combines beer brats, crispy cooked potatoes, onions and sauteed cabbage in a lightly sweetened mustard sauce. This family friendly recipe is made in one easy skillet making clean up a breeze.
Boy life is really busy!! Most of the time I feel like I am running a race…. a race against the clock. I am sure that your life is super busy too especially this time of year!! This Sweet Mustard Potatoes Cabbage and Brats makes dinner a little easier. It is short on ingredients yet full of flavor. You can have this meal on the table in about 30 minutes making it an easy weeknight meal!!
This Sweet Mustard Brats and Cabbage combines beer brats, crispy cooked potatoes, onions and sauteed cabbage in a lightly sweetened mustard sauce. I love German based dishes that make you feel like you had a great hearty home cooked meal. You can serve with extra mustard. They have so many great mustards available at your local stores. There are dark grainy mustards, beer & brat mustards and honey mustards.
How do you make Sweet Mustard Brats and Cabbage?
First in a large skillet brown the bratwursts. Remove to a plate and place in the oven at 200 degrees. Do not clean the pan. Next in a medium bowl whisk together vinegar, sugar, water, olive oil and mustard. Set that aside for a few minutes.
Now poke the potatoes several times with the prongs of a fork Wrap loosely in paper towels and microwave on high for 2 minutes. Cut the potatoes in large bite size chunks. Then add the potatoes to a Ziploc bag with a little bit of vegetable oil and shake to coat. Heat same skillet that you cooked the brats in over medium heat. Add the potatoes and cook for 3-5 minutes stirring several times.
Turn the heat to medium low. Add the onions to the skillet with the potatoes and cook 10 minutes or until potatoes are starting to brown. Stir several times to keep the vegetables from sticking or over browning. Add the cabbage to the skillet with the potatoes and onions and cook for 10 minutes. Again stirring several times. Pour 1/4 of the mustard vinegar sauce in pan with potato/cabbage mixture cooking 1-2 minutes before repeating. You want the sauce to be cooked in. Repeat process until all the sauce is gone. Add the brats back to the pan and warm for 1-2 minutes.
Helpful tips for making Brats and Cabbage
- Use good quality bratwurst with tender skins.
- Give the bratwursts a good browning and they will finish baking in the low degree oven while you work on the rest of the recipe. We like ours almost burnt but to each his own.
- Use your favorite German mustard and feel free to use a tad more if you are a huge mustard fan.
- Red potatoes work best for this but golden potatoes would work too. They keep their shape better than Russet potatoes in a recipe like this.
- Stir the skillet every couple of minutes while cooking this recipe. You want things to brown but not stick to the bottom of the pan.
I love this dish without any extra mustard. I think it is perfect just the way I have it written. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do. Put it on the list for the next week and let me know what you think. I would love to hear from you on what you think of this delicious recipe!!
Other easy one skillet recipes you will love!
- One Skillet Pepper Steak
- One Skillet Creamy Tuscan Chicken
- One Skillet Savory Beef Tips and Gravy
- One Skillet Asparagus Stuffed Parmesan Chicken
- One Pot Creamy Chicken Enchilada Skillet
Sweet Mustard Brats and Cabbage
This family friendly easy skillet recipe comes together in less than 30 minutes combining bratwurst, onions, potatoes and cabbage into a super tasty tangy mustard vinegar sauce.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 30
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: pork main dish
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: German
- 5 bratwurst sausages
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon mustard (I used beer & brat mustard)
- 2 large red potatoes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1/2 head green cabbage sliced thin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In large skillet brown bratwursts. Remove to plate and place in oven at 200 degrees. Do not clean the pan.
- In medium bowl whisk vinegar, sugar, water, olive oil and mustard.
- Poke potatoes several times with prongs of a fork Wrap loosely in paper towels and microwave on high for 2 minutes. Allow to cool for a few minutes. Cut potatoes in large bite size chunks. Add potatoes to Ziploc bag and add 1 tablespoon vegetable oil. Shake to coat. Heat same skillet over medium heat. Add potatoes and cook for 3-5 minutes; stirring several times. Turn heat to medium low. Add onions to skillet with potatoes and cook 10 minutes or until potatoes are starting to brown; stirring several times. Add cabbage to skillet; cook for 10 minutes. Stirring several times. Pour 1/4 of the mustard vinegar sauce in pan with potato/cabbage mixture cooking 1-2 minutes before repeating. Repeat process until all the sauce is gone.
- Add brats back to the pan and warm for 1-2 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.
Keywords: brats and cabbage, brats and cabbage recipe, brats and cabbage recipes, brats cabbage and potatoes, bratwurst recipe, easy one skillet dinner, German brats and cabbage recipes