Ground Beef Stroganoff is a more frugal version of the classic beef stroganoff with all of its delectable flavors of mushrooms, onions, and garlic in a creamy rich gravy. This quick and easy family meal can be prepared in less than thirty minutes making it doable for weeknights. For a complete meal suitable for company I love to serve this dish with Garlic Knots and Green Bean Bundles with Bacon.
If your family is anything like ours than it is nearing back to school time. This means hectic evenings full of homework, after school activities, laundry and gosh only knows what else. If there ever was a time of the year for quick and easy recipes this is it. My family just loves this quick and easy hamburger stroganoff. If I cook my egg noodles while I am preparing the rest of the dish I can get this on the table in less than 30 minutes. Have you tried any of other quick and easy recipes? One Skillet Pepper Steak, Skillet Sausage and Peppers, Chicken Enchiladas and this recipe are just a few of our favorites and perfect for hectic weeknights.
How to make Ground Beef Stroganoff
Start by browning your ground beef in a large skillet over medium heat. Break it up a little bit as you go but not too much as you will want a little bit of chunky beef in there. Once the beef is about halfway browned add the butter, onions, and mushrooms. After the beef and mushrooms are fully browned reduce the heat to low. Then add the garlic, thyme and parsley stirring to combine.
Next sprinkle with the flour and cook on the reduced heat for about 2 minutes gently stirring the flour to coat. Now slowly add the beef broth, Worcestershire Sauce, and Dijon Mustard while stirring to combine. Once thoroughly combined simmer for about 7-10 minutes stirring several times. Stir in the sour cream and cook for another 1-2 minutes. If desired sprinkle with more parsley.
What to serve with Ground Beef Stroganoff
- A simple garden salad
- Crusty baguette with soft butter
- Oven Roasted Parmesan Asparagus
- Egg noodles
- Angel hair pasta
- Mashed Potatoes
- Parmesan Roasted Potatoes and Brussels Sprouts
- Homemade Bread
- Roasted Potatoes
- Rice Pilaf
Recipe Notes and Tips
- Use a good lean ground beef as I like to add a tad of butter to add flavor to the mushrooms and so they cook up real brown.
- If you have excess fat after browning the ground beef than drain it before proceeding with the rest of the recipe.
- Both white button mushrooms and cremini mushrooms work well for this recipe. Heck go crazy and use some of each for more flavor.
- I like to use Amish egg noodles but any egg noodle will work. Or serve over mashed potatoes, angel hair pasta or rice.
- If the gravy gets to thick thin down with 1/4 cup of beef broth at a time until desired consistency.
- Wait until serving time to combine with the egg noodles as the noodles tend to soak up too much of the gravy and get mushy.
Ground Beef Stroganoff
Family friendly and frugal this Ground Beef Stroganoff with fresh mushrooms, onions and garlic in a rich creamy sour cream gravy is sure to please. Serve it over egg noodles, mashed potatoes, or rice.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: main meal beef
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 3 tablespoons butter (salted or unsalted)
- 1 small onion chopped
- 16 ounces white button or cremini mushrooms sliced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 2 1/2 tablespoons flour
- 2 1/2 – 3 cups low sodium beef broth (till desired consistency)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- cooked egg noodles (optional)
- Start by browning the ground beef in a large skillet over medium heat. Once halfway browned add the butter, onion and mushrooms. Continue cooking until the beef is cooked through and the mushrooms are browned.
- Reduce the heat to low. Add garlic, thyme and parsley. Cook for 1 minute; stirring constantly. Sprinkle with flour. Cook for 1-2 minutes; stirring to combine. Add the beef broth, Worcestershire sauce and Dijon mustard stirring to combine.
- Simmer over low heat for 7-10 minutes. Stir in sour cream and cook for additional 1-2 minutes. If desired sprinkle with additional parsley.
- Serve over cooked egg noodles, mashed potatoes or rice.
Keywords: best stroganoff with ground beef, best ground beef stroganoff recipe, easy ground beef stroganoff