These Smothered Pork Chops are lightly breaded, pan-fried and drenched in a creamy and flavorful easy to make pan gravy. This is the ultimate in Southern comfort and one of our favorites meals.
Why this recipe works
- This is the ultimate southern comfort meal that everyone loves served over mashed potatoes, rice or egg noodles with fresh corn, green beans or even Creamed Peas with Pearl Onions.
- Even beginner cooks can handle this easy recipe. There are no special ingredients or special techniques.
- Pork is still one of the least expensive cuts of meat and it often goes on sale. Can you say bonus?
How to make Smothered Pork Chops
Start by combining the flour, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper in a shallow bowl that is wide enough to bread the pork chops in. Dredge the pork chops in the flour mixture. Then heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Now cook the pork chops until golden brown on both sides. Then go ahead and plate them covering them loosely with an aluminum foil tent.
Now melt the butter in same skillet over medium low heat. Add the onions and cook until tender and browned scraping the bottom of the skillet to loosen those delicious brown bits from the pork chops. Reduce the heat and add the garlic cooking for a minute stirring constantly. Then sprinkle with the flour stirring and cooking for a couple of minutes. Slowly pour in the chicken broth stirring until smooth. Then stir in the heavy cream. Finally add the pork chops to the skillet and simmer for a few minutes turning the pork chops several times to coat with the gravy. Sprinkle with fresh thyme leaves and serve promptly.
Recipe notes and helpful tips
- Purchase bone in 3/4 inch thick pork chop with some fat on them for a more tender end result.
- You can easily add thick sliced white button or cremini mushrooms to this recipe. Simply add another tablespoon of butter and cook them at the same time as the onions until they are golden brown.
- For best results use vegetable or canola oil to brown the chops.
- Use heavy whipping cream for the most luscious creamy gravy.
- Pro-tip – for easy removal of thyme leaves just feed the sprig through one of the holes in a fine mesh strainer. Feed it through the top and grab it from below. The leaves will come off and collect in the strainer.
More pork recipes you will love!
- Pork Loin Roast
- Pork Schnitzel
- Sweet and Sour Pork
- Roasted Pork Tenderloin and Vegetables
- Dry Rub Grilled Pork Tenderloin
Smothered Pork Chops
Southern style breaded pork chops are smothered with a rich cream gravy seasoned with caramelized onions and garlic. Serve over mashed potatoes, rice, or egg noodles.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4 pork chops 1x
- Category: main meal pork
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: Southern
- ½ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 4 bone in center cut pork chops (about 3/4 inch thick)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 medium onion cut in half and sliced thinly in half circles
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1 /4 cup chicken broth
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- Combine flour, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper in a wide shallow bowl. Dredge the pork chops into the flour mixture.
- Heat the vegetable in a large skillet over medium heat. Now cook the pork chops until golden brown on both sides; 3-4 minutes per side. Plate them and cover loosely with an aluminum foil tent.
- Melt the butter in same skillet over medium low heat. Add the onions and cook until tender and golden brown while scraping the bottom of the skillet to loosen the brown bits. Reduce the heat and add the garlic cooking for a 1 minute; stirring constantly.
- Sprinkle with the flour. Stir and cook for 2 minutes. Slowly pour in the chicken broth stirring until smooth. Whisk in the heavy cream. Add the pork chops back to the skillet and simmer for 5 minutes turning the pork chops several times to coat with the gravy. Sprinkle with fresh thyme leaves and serve promptly.
Keywords: fried pork chops, how to make smothered pork chops, southern fried pork shops