I love everything about cabbage rolls but I don’t always have the time to make them. It takes time to simmer the cabbage leaves, stuff and roll them. This Savory Cabbage Roll soup eliminates all of that but still gives you all the flavor of cabbage rolls. Besides who wouldn’t love a nice warm hearty bowl of soup. To me soup is great anytime. It warms the cockles of my heart. Whatever cockles are! LOL!
In no time at all you can have a whole pot of hearty soup for your crew. This Savory Cabbage Roll Soup starts with sausage, onion, garlic and cabbage. It is seasoned perfectly and sweetened with just a bit of brown sugar. The aromas from the kitchen will be enough to ensure that you don’t miss out on a bowl.
Total cook time on this soup is under an hour so a week night is indeed a possibility. This soup makes great leftovers. The rice does continue to swell a bit but the flavors are even better. If swelling noodles or rice bother you split the batch before adding the rice. Plan to refrigerate the half without the rice. When you go to simmer it for another nights dinner add the other half of the rice and cook until the rice is tender which is about 25-30 minutes.
Savory Cabbage Roll Soup
- Yield: About 6-8 bowls
- 1 lb ground pork sausage (I used Jimmy Dean all natural)
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 small head green cabbage cored and coarsely chopped
- 3 large cloves garlic minced
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can fire roasted tomatoes
- 8 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning (more or less depending on taste)
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain white rice
- In large pot or dutch oven brown sausage over medium heat. When almost fully browned add onion and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add cabbage and cook until soft; approximately 15 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add fire roasted tomatoes, chicken broth, Cajun seasoning, tomato paste, brown sugar and rice.
- Bring to a low boil. Turn down to simmer and cook about 30 minutes or until rice is tender.
Other delicious soups you will love!
Creamy Alfredo Lasagna Soup