This easy family friendly Caramel Popcorn combines fresh popcorn with homemade caramel and almond slivers. This popcorn is a must try! It is so full of fresh caramel flavor that you will never buy that boxed stuff again. Forget that stuff that you get in the big tin at Christmas time. Make the fresh stuff.
I remember going to baseball games when I was a kid with my Dad. One of my fondest memories was that he would always purchase me a box of Cracker Jack. I just loved the sweet and salty taste of the Cracker Jack and the little trinket toy. This easy popcorn recipe helps kindle those old sweet memories of the good times I had with my Dad.
Enjoy this treat for a snack, dessert or after school munchie. This is one of our go to snacks for movie night along with Smoky Spicy Roasted Almonds, Snickerdoodle Cookies and Pizza Stuffed Crescent Rolls.
How to make Caramel Popcorn
Start by popping the popcorn. Then cover a couple of baking sheets with aluminum foil. Spread the popped popcorn and almonds over the prepared baking sheets in a single layer. Place in the oven while you make the caramel.
Now in a large saucepan over medium heat add the brown sugar, corn syrup and butter. Then bring it to a low boil stirring constantly. Continue boiling over low heat for 4 minutes stirring continuously. Remove from the heat and add the baking soda and vanilla. The mixture will bubble up a lot so be careful. Remove the popcorn from the oven and drizzle the caramel over the popcorn and nuts turning to coat. Finally place back in the oven for about one hour flipping every 10-15 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool. Once cooled enough to handle separate any pieces that are stuck together.
Tips for making Caramel Popcorn
- You can use salted or unsalted popcorn for this recipe however I prefer the salty sweet combination so I always use salted.
- For a change of pace substitute peanuts in place of the almonds.
- The mixture will bubble a lot when you add the baking soda and vanilla so use a pot that is large enough for some serious bubbling action.
- To mold into popcorn balls use your buttered hands and mold into balls. This must be done when the popcorn is still hot and sticky so be careful. If it cools too much to work with return the popcorn to the oven for about 5 minutes.
- This is a small batch recipe and is enough for a family of four for movie night snacking.
- Store in airtight container for up to a week.
This post was originally published August 28, 2016 and was republished on July 1, 2020 with new content.Print
Almond Caramel Popcorn
This easy Caramel Popcorn combines freshly microwaved popcorn with homemade caramel and almond slivers. Perfect for movie night or game night.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: snack
- Method: stovetop/stove
- Cuisine: American
- 2 bags microwave popcorn (bags have approximately 4.5 cups of popped corn each)
- 1 (2 ounce) bag slivered almonds (approximately 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- Pop the popcorn according to instructions on bag. Place popcorn and almonds in a single layer on two baking sheets covered with aluminum foil. Place in oven while you prepare the caramel.
- In large saucepan over medium heat add brown sugar, corn syrup and butter. Bring to a low boil stirring constantly. Continue boiling over low heat for 4 minutes stirring continuously. Remove from heat and add baking soda and vanilla. The mixture will bubble up a lot so be careful, Drizzle over the popcorn and nuts turning to coat.
- Place back in oven at 250 degrees for one hour. Flip every 10-12 minutes. Remove from oven, allow to cool and separate any pieces that are stuck together.
I use Orville Redenbachers Naturals Simply Salted.
Keywords: how to make caramel popcorn, homemade caramel popcorn, easy caramel popcorn