Buttermilk Bacon Pancakes are light fluffy pancakes with crisp edges and bits of hearty smoked bacon in every bite. The cherry whiskey maple syrup pushes it over the top and takes these pancakes to all new heavenly high.
Do you like pancakes? My daughter is a huge pancake fan! She loves them with strawberry, blueberries, bananas, and even eggnog. In fact I don’t think she has ever met a pancake that she did not like. These Buttermilk Bacon Pancakes are a family favorite. If you don’t want to add the whiskey simply add a little bit of cherry juice to your warm maple syrup. By the way, is it whiskey or whisky? Turns out the Irish spell it whiskey and the Scots spell it whisky. My late mother was Irish and I don’t want her paying me any late night visits so I think I will stay with whiskey.
How do you make Buttermilk Bacon Pancakes?
First grab a medium bowl and whisk together the buttermilk, egg and melted butter. Then in a large bowl whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in medium bowl. Add the milk mixture to the flour mixture and stir just until combined. Do not over-mix as it can make the pancakes tough. Fold in the bacon pieces.
Heat the griddle or the skillet to medium heat. Coat with cooking spray. Pour 1/3 cupfuls of the batter onto the skillet and cook until small bubbles appear on the top of the pancake. Flip and cook until browned on the other side. Finally combine the cherry whiskey with the maple syrup and drizzle over the pancakes.
Can you Freeze Buttermilk Bacon Pancakes?
You most certainly can. Simply place the cooked pancakes on a parchment covered baking sheet in a singe layer. Make sure they are not touching so they do not freeze together. Now move the baking sheet to the freezer until they are frozen. This method is called flash freezing. Once frozen transfer the pancakes to a Ziploc freezer bag.
How do you reheat frozen Buttermilk Bacon Pancakes?
To reheat place 2-3 pancakes on a microwave safe plate. Cook in the microwave at 50% for about 45-60 seconds. If still not warm enough flip the stack and heat at 50% power for another 15-20 seconds. Times may very depending on the wattage of your microwave and the size of your pancakes.
Likewise another easy method is to place the desired number of pancakes into a tight foil packet and reheat at 325 degrees for about 7-10 minutes or until soft and warm.
Helpful tips for making Buttermilk Bacon Pancakes
- Warm your buttermilk and eggs to room temperature.
- If you do not want to spend the extra money for buttermilk simply add two tablespoons white vinegar or lemon juice to regular cows milk and let set for about five minutes. I have been using this method for years and it works well.
- Do not over mix the batter as pancakes can become tough if the batter is over mixed.
- For added flavor and super crispy edges cook your pancakes in a little bit of the bacon grease.
- If you can not find the cherry whiskey or maybe you don’t want a whole bottle of it simply add one to two tablespoons of maraschino cherry juice to your whiskey.
- Are you always pushed for time? Make the bacon the night before and store in the refrigerator. I do not suggest making the pancake batter ahead of time.
- Make a double batch and freeze them. Please see above for my helpful tips on freezing and reheating pancakes.
There is just something very comforting about buttermilk pancakes. Add bacon and cherry whiskey maple syrup and you have yourself the king of comfort breakfasts! Now can you taste it melting in your mouth? I know you can!!
Other breakfast recipes you will love!
- On the Go Sausage Cheddar Breakfast Muffins
- Egg Foo Young
- Croque Madame
- Overnight Steel Cut Oats (Four Ways)
- Bananas Foster French Toast Casserole
This post was originally published February 1, 2015 and was republished April 10, 2019 with new content.Print
Buttermilk Bacon Pancakes
Buttermilk Bacon Pancakes are light fluffy pancakes with crisp edges and bits of hearty smoked bacon in every bite topped with a cherry whiskey maple syrup.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 10
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 12 pancakes 1x
- Category: breakfast
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: American
- 2 cups buttermilk warmed to room temperature
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 slices crispy cook bacon chopped
- 2/3 cup real maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons cherry whiskey
- Whisk buttermilk, egg and melted butter together in medium bowl.
- Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl.
- Add milk mixture to flour mixture and stir just until combined. Do not over-mix. Fold in chopped bacon pieces.
- Heat griddle or skillet to medium heat. Coat with cooking spray. Pour 1/3 cupfuls of batter onto skillet and cook until small bubbles appear on the top of the pancake. Flip and cook until browned on the other side.
- Combine cherry whiskey with maple syrup and drizzle over pancakes.
This makes about 12 medium sized pancakes.
Keywords: buttermilk pancakes, pancakes, bacon pancakes, comfort food, breakfast pancakes, buttermilk pancakes with cherry whiskey maple syrup