This scrumptious Homemade Applesauce is made on the stove-top in one pot with four ingredients in less than forty minutes. It tastes so much better than store bought and unlike store bought it has no preservatives or artificial flavors or colors. You won’t believe how delicious it really is.
Fall is almost here and with it comes everything apple. If your family is anything like mine than they will love this homemade treat. Apples are my son’s favorite fruit and we just can not get enough of them around here. Does your family love apples too? Have you tried any of my other apple desserts? Apple Cake, Apple Galette, Apple Dumplings and this recipe are just a few of our favorites.
How to make Homemade Applesauce
Start by peeling, coring and cutting the apples into chunks. Now simply add it to a pot along with the water, sugar and cinnamon. Bring it to a boil and then simmer it covered for about 15-20 minutes or until the apples are soft enough to mash. For chunky applesauce mash with a old fashioned potato masher. For smoother applesauce blend with an immersion blender. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge.
The best apples for Homemade Applesauce
By golly these days there are so many great choices for apples. Gone are the days when your only choices were Red Delicious and Granny Smith. Now it seems like every time I go to the market there is a new apple to try! Of course you can make applesauce with any apple. I just made a delectable batch with some small green apples that my neighbor picked from her trees on her farm. However I have always found the best applesauce is made from a mixture of sweet, tangy and tart apples.
- Golden Delicious
- Pink Lady
- Granny Smith
Tips and recipe notes
- Adjust the sugar to suit your taste.
- You can make applesauce out of any apples but my favorites are Honeycrisp, Braeburns, and McIntosh.
- For chunky applesauce simply mash with a fork or old fashioned potato masher. For smoother applesauce use an immersion blender.
- If you are watching your sugar wait until you have smashed your applesauce and add sugar or honey one tablespoon at a time until desired sweetness.
- A really sharp peeler comes in handy when making applesauce.
How to make Homemade Applesauce in a crock pot
Simply add the apples, sugar, cinnamon, 1 teaspoon lemon juice (omit the water) to a crock pot. Set the crock pot to low and cook for 6 hours or until tender. For chunky applesauce mash with potato masher. For smooth applesauce blend with an immersion blender.
Homemade Applesauce is so incredibly easy to make with four ingredients in one pot right on the stove-top. Or do it in the crock-pot and slow cook them for hours making your house smell amazing.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: side
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- 5 lbs apples peeled cored and cut in chunks
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar (or less adjusted for sweet apples)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- In a large pot combine apples, water, sugar and cinnamon. Bring it to a boil and then simmer covered for 15-20 minutes or until the apples are very tender.
- For chunky applesauce mash with a old fashioned potato masher. For smoother applesauce blend with an immersion blender. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge.
Keywords: homemade applesauce, how to make applesauce, best apples for applesauce, crockpot applesauce