These easy Italian Meatball Subs combine homemade meatballs with pasta sauce and plenty of melted mozzarella all on buttered toasted sub rolls. They are quick to come together making them perfect for busy weeknights when homework, laundry and after school activities are taking precedent. I love to serve these sandwiches with Creamy Tomato Basil Soup, Cucumber Tomato Salad or Easy Baked Sweet Potato Fries.
I just love a good sub sandwich! These subs are the best. They are perfect for sleepovers, movie night and pool parties. So much fresher than Subway and you can prepare them with excellent quality ingredients that you control. My family and friends just rave about them and they love it when I fix them.
How to make Meatball Subs
Start by mixing together the ground beef, breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, egg, dried oregano, dried basil, onion powder, garlic powder, and pepper together. Next roll into one inch balls and brown in a large skillet. Now add the pasta sauce and simmer for about 15 minutes.
Now butter the buns and toast them a little bit under the broiler. Then spread half the shredded mozzarella over the bottom of the sub rolls. Spoon five meatballs into each roll and top with the rest of the mozzarella cheese. Finally place the sandwiches under the broiler until the cheese is melted. Top with chopped fresh Italian parsley or freshly grated Parmesan cheese. For best results serve promptly.
Recipe tips and notes:
- This recipe works with both fresh and frozen meatballs.
- Use meatless pasta sauce or marinara sauce.
- I like to use fresh submarine rolls or hoagie rolls but you could also use hot dog buns. Hot dog buns hold about three meatballs so this recipe would definitely go a little further.
- Using a large casserole dish like a 9 x 13 allows you to tip the sandwiches on their side and makes for a fabulous presentation.
- Top with freshly grated Parmesan cheese or chopped fresh Italian parsley.
What to top a Meatball Sub with:
- onion straws
- pan fried bell peppers
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- pickled jalapenos
- banana peppers
- crushed red pepper
What goes with Meatball Subs
- easy garden salad with light vinaigrette
- minestrone, vegetable soup, or Corn Chowder
- pasta salad
- potato chips or French fries
- Creamy Coleslaw or Vinegar Coleslaw
- fruit salad
- potato salad
Italian Meatball Subs
An easy family friendly meatball sub recipe made with fresh meatballs, marinara, mozzarella, and Italian spices all baked to melted perfection and served warm. They are ideal for movie night, sleep overs and pool parties.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: main meal beef
- Method: stove top/ broiler
- Cuisine: American
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup Italian breadcrumbs (see notes)
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese (plus more for topping)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups marinara (or pasta sauce)
- 4 sub rolls
- 1 1/2 cups finely shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh Italian parsley (optional)
- Mix together ground beef, Italian breadcrumbs, Parmesan Cheese, egg, oregano, basil, onion powder garlic powder and pepper.
- In a large skillet over medium heat brown the meatballs on all sides. Drain any excess grease. Add the marinara sauce to the skillet with the meatballs and simmer for 15 minutes.
- While the meatballs are simmering split, butter and toast the sub rolls under the broiler.
- Spread half of the cheese over the bottom of the rolls. Place 5 meatballs in each roll and top with remainder of the cheese. Place under the broiler just the cheese is melted.
- If desired top sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and chopped parsley. Serve promptly.
- I use croutons crushed in my mini food processor. They have less additives and preservatives.
Keywords: how to make meatball subs, homemade meatball subs, easy meatball subs